Re: MD the metaphysics of free-enterprise

From: David Morey (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 19:52:32 BST

    JM said: Not sure what you mean by saying "out of nothing" all the time.
    Where is
    this "nothing" from which things come? Is it the future? Do you think that
    things could be any other way than the way they are now?

    DM: I think Pirsig says that Eastern Nothing is pretty much the same concept
    as quality.
    Pretty much the same concept as the One. I certainly think that patterns are
    laid
    down by DQ that the future is open, that DQ is creative, that the possible
    is DQ is real
    and is richer than what actually comes about, if this was not true there
    could be no freedom
    and choice. IMO, DQ is not probable, DQ is creative, always causes surprise,
    otherwise it is SQ.
    IMO, this is not nihilism, that would state that DQ is absurd and pointless,
    IMO, DQ acts,
    DQ can lay claim to the achievement of the cosmos, there is a movement
    towards freedom,
    freedom is the final cause of the creativity of DQ, without such a value
    there would be only
    randomness rather than creative movement. Values explain why there is SQ,
    instead
    of flux, the cosmos contains many patterns that are the same again, as we
    can no longer
    explain this in terms of blind mechanism we have to assume that there is a
    reason for this
    repetition and sameness. The answer is that DQ chooses to withdraw, this
    withdrawal allows
    SQ to emerge (what else could SQ be?), SQ chooses to allow patterns to occur
    because these
    patterns have value, at some level or other. Why is there conflict and
    friction between patterns?
    Well, because DQ has to live by its own value-commitments, this is the deal
    whereby a finite
    cosmos can emerge from infiinite and unbounded DQ. Make any sense?

    regards
    David M