RE: MD PhD Viva Questions

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Aug 15 2004 - 05:22:21 BST

    Dan,

    Dan said:
    > The MOQ would say a self, a human being, consists of four levels of value
    > plus undefined Dynamic Quality. Buddhists practice to kill the
    intellectual
    > self through meditation and mindfulness while sustaining the social self
    and
    > biological self.

    Some Buddhists may see it that way, but not all by a long shot. I quoted
    Robert Aitken (a Zen master) on this recently. The purpose of meditation
    and mindfulness is not to kill the intellect but to improve it, by learning
    to silence monkey mind. One also, as a Buddhist, learns logic and applies
    it to oneself not to kill the intellect but to rid the intellect of
    limiting beliefs.

    > Musical harmony (or disharmony as the case may be) and the harmony
    Quality
    > produces are not necessarily the same. The former is a biological level
    > experience while the latter is an idea.

    Musical harmony is biological?. True, it may soothe the savage beast
    (though I wouldn't count on a song to save myself from a charging bear),
    but I don't think I am satisfying a biological need when listening to
    music. Perhaps dance music, in part, but why in that case do I ask for more
    than just a beat?

    - Scott