RE: MD MOQ and Evidence (from Struan)

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 21:43:58 GMT

    Matt and all:

    Matt said:
    its helpful to ask for evidence and to be able to provide. For instance,
    DMB doesn't trust my opinion on Rorty (mainly, as near as I can figure,
    because DMB can't believe that a world-renowned and eminently respected
    philosopher like Rorty doesn't agree with him on philosophy issues) but I'm
    able to produce piles and piles of evidence to support my reading of him.
    But that's OK. We are all entitled to our opinions, whether or not they
    are mistaken. The fact is, there are a lot of highly educated people here,
    and just because one doesn't agree with them doesn't mean they are morons.
    I try to be respectful and courteous and when I don't agree with what
    someone's written, or something seems false, I try to probe and see what it
    is, rather than off-handedly denounce.

    DMB says:
    Matt, its not about trust or thinking you're a moron. I just think your
    project is inappropriate. Its not because I disagee with Rorty. It can't be
    because I haven't really read him in twenty years and don't even know if I
    disagree with him or not. I just think your project is unworkable because
    Rorty himself said that he and Pirsig were incompatable. And its not that I
    would automatically take a philosopher's word over a students, its just that
    no one can speak for Rorty bettter than Rorty himself. The man is certainly
    entitled to reject the MOQ and so are you, but it seems you want to use
    Rorty to correct Pirsig. In light of what Rorty said, this strikes me as
    sending in a chef to repair your transmission. Its doomed from the start.

    Do you see these comments as uncivil or is it something like a genuine
    criticism? Am I merely denouncing here or have I explained my objections?
    These are not rhetorically questions. I'm bothered by your recent turn to
    defensiveness and insult. What happened?

    Thanks for your time,
    dmb