Re: MD Plotinus, Pirsig and Wilber

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 21:58:09 BST

    David M,

    > Scott said:
    > Of course, the Plotinian has the opposite challenge of explaining how
    > the intellect can materialize...
    >
    > DM: My view on this relates to how SQ can emerge from DQ.
    > The answer is simple. DQ withdraws. DQ is creativity/change/flux.
    > When does flux end, when DQ withdraws, when instead of flux the
    > same again occurs, why does it repeat and occur again and form
    > patterns, because DQ has found value in its creativity, it has
    > looked upon itself and found itself to have beauty and value, DQ
    > falls in love with itself, DQ is captiviated by its own outpourings
    > and captures itself in its own gaze, it looks, the look is the
    > beginning of duration, what was flux is held for a moment of duration
    > and sameness, and hence DQ is born.

    I presume that last line should be "hence SQ is born"?

    Anyway, I hope you really don't think that this is simple. After all,
    aren't you using the product of all this: DQ/SQ duality, in the
    deescription, for example, with the phrase "it has looked upon itself"? And
    "the look is the beginning of duration" is impossible: duration is a
    requirement for a look. I'm not saying this is wrong, since one must speak
    analogically, but I think it starts from an incorrect premise: that SQ is
    to be derived from DQ. In my view, they both realize themseleves in
    polarity from each other, and together in polarity with Quality.

    - Scott