Re: Off-topic? physical pain vs. suffering (was Re: MD MOQ and The Problem Of Evil)

From: Ilya Korobkov (korobkov_ilya@mail.ru)
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 07:53:44 BST

    Hi Chris,

    CP> One way to deal with mental tension is dissociation: just make the
    CP> disagreeing parts of your brain stop talking to each other.
    CP> Dissociation is usually not healthy, though it can be adaptive.

    I think what you call dissociation here is a SOM interpretation of
    what Mark and I call coherence. Coherence is the state when different
    patterns that compose individual "work in parallel", are not aware of
    each other. Two well-known examples of coherent states are meditation
    and hypnosis. Remember that under hypnosis a patiens is not
    responsive to physical pain? I would argue that meditation and
    hypnosis are THE SAME phemomena and that the perception of factors
    causing pain of a man under hypnosis is analogous to perceptions
    of a man in meditation.

    CP> Hope this is interesting, and maybe even useful...

    It is interesting to me. In fact, the need for conceptual framework
    explaining things you are talking about brought me to MOQ philosophy.

    Best reegards,
     Ilya