RE: Re[13]: MD DYNAMIC PRESSURE (?)

From: Paul Turner (paul@turnerbc.co.uk)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 15:40:39 BST

    Hi Ilya, Mark

    I've been following this thread with interest and it's been good to see
    a willingness to listen positively to each other, which isn't always the
    case on this forum, my own contributions included.

    Mark had said:
    It does make sense to say, "MORE or LESS open to DQ" because a Crocodile
    is an evolutionary dead end which has remained virtually unchanged for
    millions of years. This particular biological static latch has been so
    successful it has virtually stopped responding to DQ altogether.

    Ilya responded:
    Is it so? I would say instead that Crocodile's DQ didn't require
    Crocodile's static patterns to change. Crocodile's static patterns
    perfectly well fitted Crocodile's DQ for millions of years.

    But doesn' matter! I don't like this interpretation of mine for the same
    reason I don't like the above interpretation of yours: we both consider
    DQ and static patterns as conceptual opposites. But as Paul in his
    recent post "RE: MD The individual in the MOQ" showed it is not right to
    do so!

    Paul:
    >> ...the second truth of Nagarjuna has the consequence that this whole
    >> static world is ultimately identical to Dynamic Quality,
    >> that there is really no division between static quality and
    >> Dynamic Quality. Quite simply, if Dynamic Quality is undivided,
    >> it can't be divided from static quality!

    This is the very notion I had in mind when I wrote in my last letter
    that static patterns cannot be closed to DQ by definition. I just
    couldn't put it into words with such striking clarity as Paul did.
    Patterns are not separate from DQ and therefore they cannot be closed to
    DQ. And they cannot be MORE or LESS open to DQ either.

    Paul:
    If I may say a couple of things about this:

    -- this is my application of Nagarjuna's Logic of Emptiness to the MOQ
    so please don't take it as anything else, and certainly not anything
    that Pirsig has said.

    -- the first or "conventional" truth, "emptiness," is a pragmatic tool
    to end excessive emphasis on conceptualisation. The "ultimate" or second
    truth of Nagarjuna is to end excessive clinging to emptiness itself.
    However, this doesn't mean that we should, or even could, stop thinking.
    The Middle Way of Nagarjuna thus suggests that we "appease
    conceptualisation" and recognises that with thinking comes
    differentiation and so we still need the conventional truth of emptiness
    i.e. Dynamic Quality.

    -- the MOQ is itself a conceptualisation of experience, and so from a
    conventional, pragmatic, static point of view, static quality is
    different from (but not independent of) Dynamic Quality. This is the
    point of view from which LILA is written and is the point of view from
    which Mark's "coherence" is operating (I think).

    -- As I understand it, Mark's employment of coherence *does* recognise
    the relationship between static and Dynamic Quality as being
    co-dependent. However, I won't intervene in this part of the discussion
    any further

    "In the language of everyday life, reality and intellect are different.
    From the language of the Buddha's world, they are the same, since there
    is no intellectual division that governs the Buddha's world." [Pirsig,
    LILA'S CHILD, p567]

    Regards

    Paul