RE: MD On Faith

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 21:40:00 BST

    Scott, Horse, Chuck,

    > {Horse:]> Which reminds me of a quote from Richard Dawkins:
    > >
    > > "I want to return now to the charge that science is just a faith. The
    > more extreme version
    > > of that charge -- and one that I often encounter as both a scientist and
    > a rationalist -- is
    > > an accusation of zealotry and bigotry in scientists themselves as great
    > as that found in
    > > religious people. Sometimes there may be a little bit of justice in this
    > accusation; but as
    > > zealous bigots, we scientists are mere amateurs at the game. We're
    > content to argue
    > > with those who disagree with us. We don't kill them."

    So what was the atom bomb? As I recall, scientists created it. Not to
    mention intercontinental missiles and chemical/biological weapons.

    > Note that Chuck said "scientism" is coherent, while Dawkins is talking
    > about science. Dawkins is correct that science is not a faith. Scientism
    > is, however. Science is a way to learn things about the inorganic world.
    > Scientism is a belief that science is the only way to know anything.

    According to Merriam Webster Online Dictionary, scientism "1.methods and
    attitudes typical of or attributed to the natural scientist." Note
    "typical of" which suggests that many scientists consider themselves the
    shamans of the modern age, Dawkins being a prime example. As for faith, my
    previous two posts in this thread which remain unchallenged cited the many
    assumptions that scientists accept on faith without question. To Dawkins
    and his fellow SOM materialists, science is indeed a religion, defined as
    "4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and
    faith."

    (Scott)
    > As for killing, zealots and bigots kill for their beliefs, whether those
    > beliefs are religious or not. The problem is zealotry and bigotry, not
    > religion.

    To suggest all killing can be attributed to zealots and bigots isn't
    realistic. Societies rightfully kill biological patterns that threaten
    their existence, like germs and terrorists, in self-defense.

    Best,
    Platt