RE: MD On Faith

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 16:49:07 BST

    MSH, Scott, All:

    Scott:
    > Couldn't agree more about those who downplay the value of science,
    > math, and logic, but no one in this thread has. Though I think it is
    > overstated, Platt's point is that scientists also operate within a
    > faith structure.

    Exactly. Thanks Scott for making that clear.

    > msh says:
    > Platt's list of scientific "faiths", to the extent that it is at all
    > accurate, is nothing more than a list of apriori assumptions made in order
    > to kick-start a highly valuable system of thought. You might as well say
    > that mathematicians have faith in the square root of two.

    As Godel showed, if religion requires belief in unprovable truth, math is
    the only religion that can prove it's a religion.

    > Any attempt to draw some faith-based parallel between science and
    > religion is doomed to failure if not fraud.

    Godel's Theorem proves otherwise. If I have to choose between the
    cogitations of MSH or Godel, I'm inclined to go with Godel. :-)

    Platt

    Platt