Re: MD On Faith

From: David Morey (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 21:39:17 BST

    Hi Platt

    I am oppressed too. But I suspect if we divided the
    Earth's resources by the number of people you and
    me would be sitting quite near the top -score wise.
    So things are not so bad and we probably would not
    strap bombs on our bodies to sort out the oppression
    we suffer from all those folks higher than us in the pile.
    Now people can get pretty
    misled, and for me violence is a crap way to try and
    sort problems out if there is any other alternative and
    usually there is (we should try dropping more books and radios
    than bombs for instance), but just maybe, I say to myself,
    if someone is strapping a bomb to themselves, someone
    else has really been backing them into a corner. I can
    just imagine a John Wayne film where the hero does
    strap a bomb on himself and blows the baddies sky high.
    In films its the bad guys who get blown up, in life it generally
    seems to be the innocent. There are other sorts of oppression
    as you hint at. Inequality is always oppression unless we commonly
    agree it is fair. We lack this common agreement these days because
    the world is a diverse place but now more so than before it is a single
    living space. We need to reconstruct our solidarity. Where we
    are subject to the inequality that we have commonly accepted.
    It begins with something like accepting a common law because
    most of us reject rule by might is right. Its always kind of hard to
    persuade those that are currently in possession of might.
    For me terrorism is incapable of overcoming oppression, but
    I can't help thinking that behind such hopeless and destructive
    activity there is genuine oppression.I suggest, such is conscience.
    We need real international law as a way forward. We may always
    be oppressed, such is civilisation if it survives, we have to put up
    with other people and all the demands they put on us, but the hope
    is to have as little oppression as we can, is that not the highest
    goal of civilisation? It is what makes individuality possible.
    A place where we can agree to disagree and not a place where
    we fight it out to the death.

    DM