Re: MD On Faith - Improbability ?

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 15:31:32 BST

    Robert, Ian.

    [Robert:] *Quality* is the basis in which the spacio-temporal world and consciousness come to be. That is, Quality is the synthesizing element forming the relationship which results in consciousness emerging from matter.

    It seems to me that the MOQ doesn't take a position on if or when consciousness emerged. As I see it, Quality isn't Quality unless it is conscious. There is no value without appreciation. This does not mean that appreciation has to occur in subject/object form. Quality could be (to use Franklin Merrell-Wolff's phrase) consciousness-without-an-object (or a subject). In any case, if, as I think to be the case, space and time are produced in the act of perception, it no longer makes sense to say that consciousness emerged in time.

    > "Faith requires us to be materialists without flinching" - Peirce (1.354)

    Since he also said that "matter is effete mind", I would need to look this up in its context to see what he is saying.

    - Scott