RE: MD On Faith

From: Chuck Roghair (ctr@pacificpartssales.com)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 00:35:02 BST

    Erin:

    My point is that I’m not actually anti-religion.

    I’m anti- the way religion is used as a tool as a means to control people in
    certain situations.

    I’m glad for having been exposed to thoughts of religious folks here at the
    MoQ and I realize there is a new theological thought going on and contrary
    to what some may think, I make an effort to stay informed if for no other
    reason than I find it interesting.

    But the way religion often works out in the real world, at the grass roots
    level, is unappealing and violent much of the time. I can’t help but wonder
    when the wisdom and new religious thought being discussed in the halls of
    the theological learned will trickle down to my local parish. So guys like
    my 65-year-old Catholic Church going neighbor will understand why I scowl
    when he tells me I’m hell bound because of the small circle tattooed on my
    forearm.

    You wrote:

    > I'm sorry I just don't think you can say anti religion this and anti
    > religion that and then talk about the praises of a religion you like-
    > just seems too mixed of a message to me and even seems very
    > unbuddhistlike for that matter! (is that a word?)

    I inferred from that post, that since I had a problem with one religion, or
    even a few religions, by your logic, I shouldn’t rightfully endorse tenets
    of another religion (though, I wouldn’t actually classify Buddhism as a
    religion) I find more viable. I simply pointed out one of the many
    differences I see between Christianity, Islam, or any monotheism and
    Buddhism.

    Those differences are why I think I "can say anti religion this and anti
    > religion that and then talk about the praises of a religion I like."

    Best regards,

    Chuck