RE: MD A bit of reasoning

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 03:20:42 BST

    Hi Scott, Jim, Platt, and anyone else along for the ride,

    Scott, I now understand what you mean about Intellect, Consciousness,
    Quality, etc, being different aspects of the same (non)-thing, sort
    of like Desire and Jealousy could be aspects of Love. And thanks for
    the Avery recommendation.

    I do have a comment re your rejection of the materialistic theory of
    consciousness (see below). Personally, I'm on the fence about this
    because I think that, so far, science has not managed to to come up
    with a configuration of matter that produces anything close to self-
    awareness. However, if AI scientists do, in time, produce computers
    (or more likely thousand or millions of computers running in
    parallel) that are able to demonstrate truly heuristic decision-
    making, not just super-sophisticated logic-tree or algorithmic type
    processing, this would probably convince me that consciousness can
    emerge from matter, especially if such a machine passed a rigorous
    Turing test with colors flying.

    My questions to you, and anyone else who wants to answer are: Would
    this scientific development convince you that awareness is
    fundamentally materialistic? If not, is there any scientific or
    rational development that would? If not, would you then agree that
    your continued belief in the non-material nature of consciousness is
    irrational?

    Now, my one comment on Scott's reasoning for rejecting the
    materialistic theory of awareness...