RE: MD A bit of reasoning (correction) - Meme

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 04:09:35 BST

    MarshaV asked:
    Couldn't a non-corporal thinking entity be a mime?

    dmb says:
    I don't know any mimes, but most of the actors and clowns I know are quite
    bright and I've heard that Marcel Marsceau was noticably clever. So I
    wouldn't doubt a mime's ability to think either. The non corporal part is
    much trickier, however. How could they walk against the wind and such
    without bodies? I just don't see how the traditional make-up and gloves will
    work without a face and hands.

    But seriously, I don't see how we can say that memes "think", not without
    stretching the definition of "think" beyond all recognition. I mean, its
    hard to imagine that ideas themsleves can do any thinking. Its hard to think
    of a thought that thinks or sight that sees. And how many thoughts would a
    thought think through if a thought really could think thoughts?