Re: MD Static and dynamic aspects of mysticism and religious experience

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 15:59:30 GMT

    Daer Sam,

    You wrote 26 Oct 2004 07:18:46 +0100:
    'I think the split of "ologies" from practice is SOM related, and not to be
    trusted in non-scientific fields. ... I reject the standard interpretation
    of the MoQ on [separation of 4th level (symbolic) patterns of values and
    that which is symbolised (the other levels and the 4th level itself) ánd ...
    writing a metaphysics (the menu) and mysticism/Quality (the food).] ... I
    think [theology] fails [to improve practice] when it tries to be "scientia"
    and not "sapientia".'

    Doesn't '-ology' derive from the Greek and mean 'words about'? (I never
    studied Greek or Latin. Maybe you can correct me here.) Wherever you use it,
    the 'reflective' seems to me to be implied in the word, if '-ology' is part
    of it.
    'Theosophy' (referring more to giving Meaning to the divine, to religious
    experience) would be more attractive to me than 'theology' (implying the
    possibility of 'knowledge' about the divine), but '-osophies' seem to me
    just as reflective as '- ologies' and don't participate either in their
    subject matter.
    Yes, religion can be understood as relating to theology as object to subject
    AND as lower level to higher level static quality, if you accept Pirsig's
    association of objective with lower levels and subjective with higher
    levels. Quaker criticism of theology is however that it restrains one from
    going beyond words and beyond those 4 levels. For Quakers 'religion' (after
    doing away with rituals and outward sacraments) does not refer to that which
    is reflected in words, but to that which reaches beyond words. 'Religion'
    then is even more 'subjective', even more Dynamic than the highest level
    static patterns of value.

    You continued:
    'Is there anything that you would say is *not* experience? ... In what way
    do you distinguish experience and reflection on it?'

    A definition of 'experience' is 'direct observation of or participation in
    events as a basis of knowledge'. No, there is nothing else. Only what's
    directly observed or participated in exists. The rest is illusion.
    Of course we also experience illusion, however... (-:
    We can pretent to know indirectly, to know without participating. That
    'knowledge' is without value, however. It doesn't really exist.
    (I know to some extent how people live in Amerika, where I have never been,
    I do value that knowledge and so I could be accused of valuing indirect
    knowledge, but I prefer to understand that as direct knowledge too, as I do
    participate in patterns that include Amerika. It's like being part of a
    puzzle even if you're only one of its pieces and touch only a few other
    pieces. You know it is a puzzle from your direct surroundings.)
    Reflection is experience that is felt to refer to other experience. It is
    the experience of referring to other experience. All reflection is
    experience. Not all experience is reflection. Both are direct and
    participatory.

    You continued:
    'Whilst I would leave open the possibility of "unmediated experience" I'm
    (i) not convinced that it is necessarily religiously fruitful and
    (ii) I think it represents a very meagre spiritual diet.
    There is so much Quality in the accumulated static latches of the different
    religious traditions, which I think represents the possibility of DQ to
    those not familiar with it, that a concentration on the unmediated (ie what
    does not come via the medium of culture, language, tradition and so on) can
    be actively harmful IMHO.'

    I agree that there is a lot of (static) value in 'mediated' religious
    experience as there is in mediated non-religious experience (e.g. science).
    The point is, that for me mediated religious experience is not superior to
    mediated non-religious experience (and often inferior, e.g. creation dogma's
    compared to evolution theories), whereas unmediated religious experience IS
    superior to unmediated non-religious experience (for me; for others art or
    even science may be THE ways to reach beyond static quality).
    I don't intend to argue about the relative value of various sorts and
    sources of static quality. We did agree before about the 'ladder' model,
    with lower rungs still being necessary to serve those still on their way up.
    The point is that I need religion to reach for Dynamic Quality and that that
    is to be found in unmediated and not in mediated religious experience.
    I do NOT 'agree that what for some people is SQ, is DQ for others'. If it is
    recognizably the same, it is not DQ. Newly starting participation in a
    static pattern of value in which others are already participating, may be of
    high value to others, but it is still static quality.
    It may be the movement up the ladder that is DQ, e.g. from Anglicanism to
    Quakerism (-:, not the lower rungs themselves for those who move up to them.
    The only justification for religious institutions is that they are
    springboards or trampolines to start upward from. The more flexible, the
    better.

    You asked:
    'how do you understand the Christian mystical tradition (Dionysus, Eckhart,
    Tolle, John of the Cross, Julian of Norwich, etc etc) - their work is
    saturated with what you claim "kills" mysticism.'

    I know very little about Christian mysticism. I presume that the 'theology'
    that is shown in their work can be distinguished from that which I would
    recognize as 'mysticism'.

    No, Quakers in my tradition do not teach their religion. There are no
    boundaries for our religious practice that I know of either. Quaker
    religious practice just co-develops, as I wrote. It diverges sometimes and
    it converges at other times. In history Quaker groups 'disowned' other
    groups and individuals diverging too much, but such 'disowning' stopped
    somewhere in the last century. For some groups earlier, for others later. In
    Western Europe quite early. 'Quaker Faith and Practice' and other books
    question Quakers whether their religious practice is really according to
    divine guidance as they experience it and to some extent describe that
    co-developing practice, but they don't prescribe.

    You wrote:
    'Probably a temperamental difference between us there'

    Or being on different rungs of the ladder? (-;

    You asked:
    'What did you think of my point about science being incapable of physical
    violence as there is no physical link between levels 3 and 4, but as being
    just as capable of forming an ideology which
    justifies physical violence (as with communism).'

    Well, a symbol cannot harm what it symbolizes, obviously. But what's the
    point, if what matters is coercion or force which IS present on all levels
    and if all 4th level static patterns of value are coercive simply by virtue
    (!) of embodying static quality and resisting change? We could then discuss
    which type of 4th level pattern of value if more coercive than others, but I
    doubt whether 'science' as a whole is a good category to compare with
    others. Some science is more rigidly resisting paradigm change than other
    science, just as some religion is more resistant to let its practitioners
    dance for themselves than other religion... And making practitioners first
    take in 'the accumulated static latches of [their] different religious
    traditions' before they are allowed to change those traditions, doesn't seem
    to me to be a recipe for lessening coercion.

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim

    MD Queries -