Re: MD Making sense of it (levels)

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 14:34:30 GMT

    Dear Steve and David B.,

    Steve wrote 19 Jan 2003 11:19:42 -0500:
    'In Wim's formulation, I think it follows that an individual is "latched"
    through "unconscious copying of behavior." If I think of a person as a
    biological pattern with a personality then this makes sense to me. A
    person's personality is gradually latched onto existing biological patterns
    through unconscious copying.
    Since all people are on the same level, then it follows that two people can
    only be compared in terms of stability/versatility/receptiveness to change.
    (Didn't we eventually agree that every person is a social pattern of value?
    Someone posted a quote (from Lila's child I think) to back this up. I
    haven't been able to find it.)
    If the individual and the mob are both social patterns of value, then since
    the individual is more receptive to change he is more moral. Would you
    agree?'

    I don't think it very useful to think of an individual (human) as either a
    social or an intellectual pattern of value. Such an individual is a subject
    or an object (depending on your point of view) and can be an element in all
    kinds of patterns of value.

    I agree with David B. (19 Jan 2003 14:49:06 -0700):
    'The distinction between individuality and collectivity simply has nothing
    do with the distinction between Pirsig's levels.'

    I think Pirsig isn't making things clearer by talking about
    'biological/social/intellectual entities. It would be better, I think, to
    stress that thinking in terms of patterns of value is to be distinguished as
    clearly as possible from thinking in terms of subjects and objects. Equating
    objects with inorganic and biological patterns of value and subjects with
    social and intellectual patterns of value (which Pirsig did explicitly in
    his SODV-paper; see on www.moq.org) is only excusable as a crude rule of
    thumb or short introduction to SOM for SO-thinkers. It's a fallacy, I
    believe, to try to categorize 'things' (usually visualized as subject or
    object) as a pattern of value of one of the levels.

    We should first be clear about what we mean with a 'pattern of value' (and
    how it is to be distinguished from a subject or an object). Only then can we
    categorize patterns of value.

    Maybe a 'personality', understood as the pattern in someone's behavior,
    could be seen as a social pattern of value. The more relevant social
    patterns of value are those that can be recognized in the behavior of
    groups, however, the one's that are passed on between generations and
    constitute the 'culture' of these groups.

    'Thinking in terms of individuals' (rather than social classes or family
    groups or nations or ...) is an intellectual pattern of value, I'd say. It
    constitutes a distinguishable way of motivating one's actions.

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim