Re: MD Self

From: Sam Norton (elizaphanian@kohath.wanadoo.co.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 18:57:36 GMT

    Hi Dan,

    Thanks for your comments on this, which I thought cogent. One thing though:

    > #1 might translate to the intellectual level. In my opinion, though, Jesus
    > is talking about #5, which points to something deeper, especially in light
    > of the two preceding verses:
    >
    > Then said Jesus onto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him
    > deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save
    > his life will lose it; and whosoever will lose his life for my sake will
    > find it. (Matthew 16:24,25)
    >
    > i think it's possible Jesus is talking "Big self, small self" here, but I
    > also think you'll find Big self pertains to Dynamic Quality, not the
    > intellectual level, and small self pertains to the person.

    Some hybrid of #1 and #5 is what I have in mind. When you say 'Big Self pertains to DQ' etc, is
    this something which Pirsig has said; is it a standard teaching of Buddhist thought, or is it from
    somewhere else? I'm happy to abandon that language as I think it may get in the way of clarity.

    Sam