Re: MD Re: Is Morality relative?

From: Phaedrus Wolff (PhaedrusWolff@carolina.rr.com)
Date: Sun Dec 12 2004 - 18:14:11 GMT

    Platt) -- "Possibly there are no absolutes" is asserted as as absolute
    truth.
    There's no escape.

    Hi Platt,

    How do we know an absolute? If it is through the senses, and taste being a
    strong sense, and by itself would offer us an absolute, then how could you
    explain a blindfolded man eating something that tastes as if it were
    something else that the nose smells? It seems even the senses can confuse us
    to absolutes. If I take a drink of Cabernet Sauvignon, and it is pleasant to
    the senses of smell and taste and sight, and wifey takes a drink from the
    same glass and it is repulsive, who's absolute is true?

    Could it be true that all of our senses could be extended out to the same
    confusion between the observers of the experience? A person who comes across
    a stick in the woods and sees, smells, or feels a snake, would be insane to
    a person who sees, smells, or feels a stick. The only sane answer to what it
    is would be what it really is, which in reality, one of them would have to
    be wrong.

    If one person sees things differently than another person, or a group of
    people see things differently than another group of people, then there is,
    and at the same time, there is not an absolute.

    One of your examples was death. If death is an absolute certainty, then
    those who say death is a result of disease, and we can cure the diseases
    that cause death, and we can live a life of both mind and substance that
    stills the aging process, then it becomes possible that death is not an
    absolute at all, but only prior experiences would claim death as an
    absolute. If they are not in agreement with us, we only have historical
    experience to depend on, and history is constantly changing in ways that
    prove our experiences to be misleading.

    For the moment, I would agree that death is an absolute, but I cannot know
    that this will always hold true, even though any reasonable man should think
    so. When you move this life and death beyond the realm of physical
    experience, then life can also not even be considered an absolute, in that
    we neither live or die except in the physical world we are capable of
    sensing around us. Is it possible we could change all this just by thinking
    it was something different? I can't say.

    This is beyond the physical and psychological realms of our current
    knowledge, but if it were only our current knowledge that determines
    absolutes, then there would no need for philosophy or science as we would
    already know everything there is to know.

    So, at least personally, I must deny any absolutes, as I know I cannot know
    anything except in the realm of faith that it will not change to be
    something entirely different.

    If we are speaking of absolutes as current, then yes everything around me,
    including this computer I am typing on is an absolute; there is nothing but
    absolutes. Everything is absolute, and there is not reason to question -- in
    fact anyone who does must be insane. Therefore, I must be insane as these
    thoughts that are going through my head do not fit the current mythos of the
    sane.

    May not mean anything, but it was fun to write. :o)

    Chin