Re: MD The Quality of Capitalism?

From: Arlo J. Bensinger (ajb102@psu.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 17:11:49 GMT

    Sam, Mark,

    Just a brief comment...

    Sam wrote:
    > I think the issue here is about who gets to decide what counts as 'the highest
    quality use of the
    > public airwaves'.

    I know this is little off what your point is, but I'd interject that the issue
    is to whether or not "public airwaves" exist, or if all bandwidth should be
    open to commerical purchase.

    There is already a balance, the FCC has 'reserved' certain bandwidth for public
    use (shortwave radio, etc), and has allocated other bandwidth for commericial
    purchase. However, the conservatives are irked that even a small allocation
    exists for "public use", and have moved repeatedly to force the FCC to
    commercialize ALL bandwidth. (The same way they are irked that "public lands"
    exist, and are repeatedly on record seeking to commercialize federal parks).

    Underlying this is the naive belief that corporations, if given control of ALL
    airwaves, will respond to "what people want", but bandwidth in the public
    commons will result in "the government deciding what people listen to". For a
    great review of the stifling effects of corporate control on DQ (the author, of
    course, does not call it DQ but innovation) read "The Future of Ideas: The Fate
    of the Commons in a Connected World" by Lawrence Lessig.

    What's funny is that the conservatives (who, unlike the liberals, don't protect
    us from ourselves) have also repeatedly moved to strengthen government's
    control over broadcast content (witness the Howard Stern debacle). So I think
    we need to be real careful when asserting that one side philosophically favors
    no-government control. It is, in this case, an argument over government
    ownership, and not government control.

    Okay, didn't mean to interrupt...

    Arlo