Re: MD Code of Art - Levels

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 09:35:14 GMT

    Mark,

    Zen and the Art of Bus-Driving - I like it.
    Art in everything - not a shadow of a doubt in my mind.
    (But that could just turn into a debate about the semantics and etymology of
    the word "Art" "Rta" "Rt" "Rite" Right" "Good" "Value" "Moral" "Quality",
    etc, as Pirsig has shown.)

    I (like you ?) do not see Art as a separate level, but part of the
    relationship between levels, and furthermore I cannot conceive of Art
    without Intellect anywhere ? I see Art as evidence of Intellect in fact,
    though I guess when I say that I'm using a pretty wide defintion of
    intellect. The MoQ cannot exist without Intellect (and Art and Quality).

    What is interesting here is the idea of abandoning the 4 levels as some kind
    of absolute - that is real progress. One new thing I want to say about the
    levels is,

    The levels chosen to represent the continuum of Quality, are just the
    currently stable metaphors for the world we see - some VERY Static SQ's.
    They are just imposed by our current thinking and understanding (of the
    world), and like anything, will evolve. I also have an adage which I throw
    in to ever discussion about "levels", not just MoQ, but Maslow, Software
    Architectures, any procedures, system designs of any kind ...

    By axiomatic (mathematical / topological) definition of the words "level" or
    "layer" ...
    ***
    Everything has three levels / layers,
    (including each level / layer).
    ***

    Each level (of anything) has a region within itself, but is also has a layer
    interfacing with each of the levels above and below it, making three layers.
    Everything dissolves into onion skins if you're being analytic - 3 levels,
    (5) (7) 9 levels, (...) 27, 81, etc ... - so the levels we actually choose
    to work with are, well, chosen. An issue I have with the MoQ is that the
    Social and Intellectual levels draw much debate about how to understand
    their distinction.

    I personally see only three (coarse) levels
    * Physical
    * Biological
    * Socio-Intellectual

    But as I say, each level is analysable in its own right.
    What most of our (human) debate is about is how to characterise "Morals" in
    the Socio-Intellectual Level itself.
    My view is we'll have more success, if we divide it (the socio-intellectual
    level) into three, not two.

    Ian