Re: MD Is Morality Relative? (or "Is there anything out there?")

From: Richard Loggins (brloggins@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 23 2004 - 00:03:22 GMT

    Ian,
    Oh no it's not conclusive. But lets at least be honest about it for God's sake. It's another data point on a mountain of data points.

    Retoric that works for the dis-affected millions. There is power in that. Rock on. - Rich

    Ian Glendinning <ian@psybertron.org> wrote:
    Rich,

    I recognise that passage, but do not see it as that literal or conclusive ...

    (Not that I'm actually all that interested in labels of schools of philosophy, you understand)

    He actually says ... "MIGHT be a sound logical position"
    As I mentioned in a related thread, in many parts of ZMM he is really stating the problem, not his metaphysical answer, that came in Lila.

    More sense / more digestible / less far fetched - these are the reasons I see him as pragmatic (not a pragmatist with a capital P necessarily)(that's me being pragmatic). He's looking for what works, call it rhetoric if you like. IE it's what get's the common-sense message across - to millions of disaffected, confused and frustrated post-hippy baby-boomer readers, and now to post-dot.com, post-millennial, post-9/11 readers - not to professional philosophologists.

    It works. End of story. Spread the word.

    Ian