Re: MD Is the MoQ still in the Kantosphere?

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Mon Dec 27 2004 - 02:10:15 GMT

    Hi Sam,

    sam:
    I'd love to know if other people also think this is
    boring/untrue/irrelevant to understanding the MoQ.

    msh says:
    I think your paper makes a strong case for the influence of
    Schleiermacher on James, whether or not that influence was
    consciously noted by James. The similarity between Scheliermacher's
    6 points describing mystical experience and Jame's 4 points doing the
    same thing is unmistakable. I think DMB's deliberate high opacity on
    this point is just meant to piss you off, so don't fall for it.

    I also see similarities between Schleiermacher and Pirsig, though I
    think S (or is it you) likes to play up the "felt"part of the
    mystical experience, perhaps laying the ground work your (his) ideas
    of the value of emotions. As far as I know, RMP doesn't refer to his
    pre-intellectual awareness as a feeling, and I imagine, that for him
    "sensation" is a better word, since it avoids the ambiguity of sense
    data versus emotion.

    I must say this Schleiermacher connection is helpful in understanding
    how RMP might have arrived at the existence of Quality; but to
    suggest S was influential in the development of the MOQ seems
    untenable, given the evidence presented in your paper. True, the MOQ
    is based on the concept of Quality, but, for me, the MOQ's important
    contribution of ethical philosophy is the hierarchy of morality

    sam:
    This just struck me as worth pursuing. Consider the following theses:
    a) Schleiermacher created the contemporary understanding of mysticism
    as something flowing from felt personal experience;

    msh says:
    As above, I think "felt" works for you and S, but not for RMP.

    b) Schleiermacher described that felt personal experience as
    preceding the separation between subject and object;

    msh says:
    Yes. But I'd say that pre-intellectual awareness is a mystical
    experience, not an emotional one.

    msh says:
    c) Schleiermacher's motivation for this was to extricate religious
    epistemology (how we know) from Kant, so that the religious realm is
    not discarded.

    msh says:
    I can see the parallel to Pirsig's desire to salvage the realm of
    value from the scientific junk pile, but not so much the connection
    to Kant, but this is probably due to everything I've forgotten about
    Kant.

    I'm also annoyed by S's desire to keep the religious realm from being
    discarded; seems like, in so doing, he's more interested in theology
    than philosophy. Pirsig wants to save value from science because
    doing so makes for a better understanding of the world around us;
    that is, he's looking for a better metaphysics.

    Anyway, just wanted you to know I read your paper with interest, and
    found in it much of value wrt both Pirsig and James.

    Best,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983

    "The shadows that a swinging lamp will throw,
            We come from nowhere and to nothing go."

    On 26 Dec 2004 at 18:22, Sam Norton wrote:

    Hi Chin,

    > I read the essay again, and it just doesn't make a lot of sense to
    > me, but sense it was posted here on the MOQ, I imagine that is just
    > me.

    Not at all, it was actually put together in a bit of haste, and it
    could do with being unpacked and clarified (although the last bit was
    deliberately sketchy). Perhaps I'll do a version 2 once I've done the
    material on James and Plotinus for DMB.

    My basic point is that the structure of the MoQ, specifically the
    'pre-intellectual cutting edge of reality', seems to correspond
    exactly with Schleiermacher, as presented by Jantzen. Thus,
    "immediate consciousness points to the stage before subject and
    object are differentiated. There is, Schleiermacher suggests, a
    primal stage of consciousness in any experience, a stage before the
    objective content is discriminated from the subjective participation.
    This consciousness cannot be consciousness of anything, it cannot
    have any specificity, because by the time the object of consciousness
    has been specified one has already moved away from the primal
    undifferentiated state."

    This just struck me as worth pursuing. Consider the following theses:
    a) Schleiermacher created the contemporary understanding of mysticism
    as something flowing from felt personal experience; b) Schleiermacher
    described that felt personal experience as preceding the separation
    between subject and object; c) Schleiermacher's motivation for this
    was to extricate religious epistemology (how we know) from Kant, so
    that the religious realm is not discarded.

    It seems to me that the above theses are true - although we can argue
    all of them, as we no doubt will - but most importantly, if you
    substitute Pirsig for Schleiermacher, value for religion, and DQ for
    felt personal experience, then you have something remarkably close to
    the MoQ. That's what I mean by saying that the MoQ and
    Schleiermacher's ideas share a conceptual shape, and that's what I
    think is so interesting - is Pirsig simply recapitulating
    Schleiermacher? As I said in the essay, I'm not in a position (yet)
    to answer the question, but the evidence I've read so far seems
    tremendously suggestive. So I thought it was worth sharing the
    question to see what other people think. I know DMB thinks this is
    tosh, but ever since he discovered the extent of my Christian
    convictions, he thinks everything I say is tosh.

    I'd love to know if other people also think this is
    boring/untrue/irrelevant to understanding the MoQ.

    Sam

    Aug '98 - Oct '02 - http://alt.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/ Nov
    '02 Onward -
    http://www.venus.co.uk/hypermail/moq_discuss/summary.html MD Queries -