RE: MD "Is there anything out there?"

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 13:53:45 GMT

    Hi MSH,

    Thanks for explaining the connection between "imaginary numbers" and
    "empirical reality." A most interesting explication. You concluded:

    > Anyway, here endeth the lecture. Sorry. But this is pretty amazing
    > stuff, really, and it's not so hard to see why some mathematicians
    > might feel that God is to be found in the beauty and perfection of
    > mathematics. IMO, he very fact that math is NOT phenomenal in nature
    > is why it's a serious contender for getting a glimpse at the
    > "underlying reality" of the cosmos, if there is such a thing. And,
    > though it may be true that "there is nothing out there" you can
    > understand why mathematicians and scientists have a hard time with
    > the "reality is an illusion" syndrome.

    Precisely my sense of amazement and wonderment, too, expressed much better
    than I could. I have yet to hear an MOQ explanation of why "value
    preferences" at the physical level are expressible in mathematical terms.
    "Well, that's just the way it is" hardly counts as a answer.

    Regards,
    Platt