Re: MD "Is there anything out there?"

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 17:00:36 GMT

    Hi Ian,

    I think you're responding to me, not Paul... Anyway, just for
    clarification for any math buffs out there...

    On 5 Jan 2005 at 11:49, Ian Glendinning wrote:

    Hmmm Paul,
    We may have to agree to differ, (but I'm no mathematician)
    I don't see the Euler identity stated or proven on that page, merely
    lots of example integrals that use variants of it,

    msh says:
    Well, Euler is proved elsewhere. The Schroedinger page shows that
    Euler is necessary to even begin to describe quantum behavior, thus
    my original point that Quantum Mechanics relies on Euler. BTW, this
    idea is hardly MINE in any sense. I believe it's pretty well accepted
    that Schroedinger opened the door to QM, and his equations don't work
    without Euler.

    ian:
    Whether the Euler identity underlies Schroedinger and Quantum Physics
    in any direct significant way, or merely indirectly through its
    integrals being a useful was to represent wave equations which do
    underly them is a moot point...

    msh says:
    Maybe moot, but mysterious and interesting, is my point.

    ian:
    but hey ... that wasn't really the point was it (whatever the actual
    maths) the point as you say was ...

    "Isn't it wonderful / amazing / awesome (spooky even) that such
    maths underlies so much reality" Which we seem to agree on.

    msh says:
    I think this was Paul, but yep, I agree.

    ian:
    What we don't seem to agree on are the "significance" of the
    "underlyingness" itself, and "explanations of why".
    For me the maths works, is useful, consistent, repeatable,
    predictable, etc is enough reason to believe, enough explanation.
    Others seem to have some "cosmic purpose" in mind for an answer.

    msh says:
    I don't see and never have proposed any "cosmic purpose." Quite the
    opposite, in fact: I think we make our own purposes. As for Euler,
    I'm just a guy from Jersey kicking around some equations; I'll leave
    the deep theoretical thinking to the deep theoretical thinkers.

    Best,
    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)

    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983
> [...]
    > although his famous and quite remarkable formula is often written
    as
    > e ^ (i * pi) + 1 = 0.
    >
    > What I said was that various forms of this equation show up in a
    > wide variety of mathematical formulae describing all sorts of
    > motion, including waves, pendulums, and planets, sometimes as part
    > of an integral.  The connection to Quantum Mechanics is through
    > Schroedinger's wave equation, which you can see discussed here:
    >
    > http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/SchroedingerEquation.html
    >
    > If you look at the 35 or so lines on this page, you'll find
    > formulations of Euler all over the place.
    >
    > What's spooky to me and others is that an equation arrived at
    > through pure number theory should prove so useful in solving so
    many
    > previously intractable equations with direct applications in the
    > real world.
    >
    > But, as I've already said, I'm not suggesting this means God loves
    > math or something.  I'm not sure what it means, if anything.  This
    > apparent symmetry between math and physical reality may just be a
    > result of the fact that we our imaginative selves are an
    inseparable
    > part of the phenomena we are trying to describe, an idea that I
    > think will appeal to Paul and DMB.   I just don't know... but I
    find
    > it interesting.
    >
    > I'm waiting to hear back from my math genius friend;  he may very
    > well agree with you and tell me I'm all wet.
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    > --
    > InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    > Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983
    > Web Site: http://www.infoproconsulting.com
    >

    > "The shadows that a swinging lamp will throw,
    > We come from nowhere and to nothing go."
    >

    > On 4 Jan 2005 at 20:29, Ian Glendinning wrote:
    >
    > Err, Mark
    > (and Platt who seemed to like your explanation ...)
    > (and Rich who choked on his tea ...) :-)
    >
    > I'm with Rich, you can't really believe that simplistic explanation
    > of numerical relationships underlying quantum physics, end of
    story,
    > can you.
    >
    > Factually - I believe the identity (equation) you are referring to
    > is more like ... The intergral of e to the i pi, from zero to two
    > pi, equals minus one
    >
    > (Not just e to the i pi equals minus one)
    > (e to the i pi itself cannot itself equal anything meaningful can
    it
    > ? The integral is a geometric construct - a metaphor - in the
    > complex plane, if I recall correctly) (Which interestingly I
    blogged
    > about the beauty of myself - some years ago - it first hit me
    > between the eyes around 30 years ago - spooky coincidence.)
    >
    > Even when (if) we can agree we've expressed the identity right -
    I'm
    > surprised to find it behind quantum mechanics - wave motion maybe,
    > but .. And finally, whilst I support the concept that physics
    > underlies everything (by axiomatic definition) quantum physics is
    > not (necessarily) the final word on the matter.
    >
    > Most interesting for me is that Platt sees some explanation of "why
    > imaginary numbers underly empirical reality" Huh ? Predictably I
    > still see no "reason why" even if your explanation were true, just
    > an explanation of a relationship which "happens to be" (if it
    > happened to be true)
    >
    > Ian

    The
    > > irrational number "pi", the irrational number "e", and the
    > imaginary
    > > number "i", come together in one of the simplest equations ever:
    > > ^ i  (pi) = -1, that is "e to the power of i times pi = -1".
    > >
    > > That these three numbers should be related in this way is
    > > startling enough, but there's more.  The whole of quantum physics
    > > depends
    > upon
    > > this simple equation. It is the basic equation of any wave
    motion,
    > > wave on water, the sound waves coming from an air raid siren, or
    > > electromagnetic radiation.  The motion of any wave can be
    > > expressed as a concatenation of such simple equations. AND, this
    > > equation expresses the orbits of the planets, the swing of a
    > > pendulum and
    > the
    > > oscillation of an atom. In fact, the way I understand it, every
    > > motion in the cosmos can be described by an equation of this
    form.
    > > Remember now, this equation was derived without empirical
    > > measurement of any kind, so it was clearly not a matter of
    > > "tweaking" the equation till they got it right.
    > >
    > > Anyway, here endeth the lecture.  Sorry.  But this is pretty
    > amazing
    > > stuff, really, and it's not so hard to see why some
    mathematicians
    > > might feel that God is to be found in the beauty and perfection
    of
    > > mathematics. IMO, he very fact that math is NOT phenomenal in
    > nature
    > > is why it's a serious contender for getting a glimpse at the
    > > "underlying reality" of the cosmos, if there is such a thing.
    > > And, though it may be true that "there is nothing out there" you
    > > can understand why mathematicians and scientists have a hard time
    > > with the "reality is an illusion" syndrome.
    > >
    > > Anyway, if anyone wants more info about all of this, or if you
    > > just think I'm crazy and wanna check up on me, I can provide some
    > > links.
    > >
    > > As usual, TIA for any thoughts.
    > >
    > > Mark Steven Heyman (msh)
    > > --
    > > InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    > > Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since
    > > 1983 Web Site: http://www.infoproconsulting.com
    > >

    > MOQ.ORG  - http://www.moq.org
    > Mail Archives:
    > Nov '02 Onward  -