RE: MD Further comments to Matt

From: Ron Winchester (phaedruswolff@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 16:58:16 GMT

    dmb disagrees:
    This is what I'm talking about. You've reduced the primary empirical reality
    to openmindedness. That's just not it, Matt. Its simply the wrong idea and
    its the wrong idea about the MOQ's most central idea. You really gotta put
    some hinges on that box, mabye even take a wall out. DQ is to be indentified
    with religious mysticism, not curiosity or positive assessments or anything
    so obvious to common sense. We don't have to try to "Block" DQ. We do that
    so habitually and so automatically that it can take years of practice just
    to stop doing it. That's what meditatiion is all about, making the mind
    quiet in order to experience a different type of consciousness, one where
    the distinctions between subject and object, mind and matter etc, do not
    exist. See, undivided and pre-intellectual mean the same thing. That's what
    unmediated refers to as well. Pirsig and other describe it a million
    different ways, but it all boils down to no-mind. I'm all for
    openmindedness. It just happens to have nothing to do with DQ, you parts
    smasher you.

    Hi dmb,

    Up until this point, you have had a silent cheerleader reading your replies.
    I'm sitting here yelling "Go dmb!" "Right on!" "You tell 'em!"

    Even most of what you are saying here, I agree with totally. The one thing
    that is separating me, maybe my own blind spot, is this "no-mind" thing.
    Unless of course it is that you are beginning to agree with me that this
    'Mystic reality' is intuitive. It has nothing to do with reasoning, logic,
    or dialectic truths. What it has to do with is 'The Good' (and yes the Good
    of Plato)

    It was not Plato or Socrates that set the wheels of Western intellect into
    motion, it was the Slicing-n-dicing of Aristotle who in the words of
    Phaedrus;

    "Phædrus remembered a line from Thoreau: "You never gain something but that
    you lose something." And now he began to see for the first time the
    unbelievable magnitude of what man, when he gained power to understand and
    rule the world in terms of dialectic truths, had lost. He had built empires
    of scientific capability to manipulate the phenomena of nature into enormous
    manifestations of his own dreams of power and wealth...but for this he had
    exchanged an empire of understanding of equal magnitude: an understanding of
    what it is to be a part of the world, and not an enemy of it."

    The Good is built into man's nature. From prehistoric times, from before
    your theory of when philosophy began, the Good has always been there. It is
    intuitive, and yes, it is instinct. It is not an anamalistic instinct that
    is pointed toward survival, but a human instinct; one that puts the well
    being of others before the well being of self. It is the instinct built into
    man that will throw a man in front of a fast moving car to save the life of
    a child, or a puppy. It is the instinct that will send a man up a flight of
    stairs in a burning building to save another human being he has not met. It
    is the instinct of man that will place him in front of a rain forest defying
    a line of bull dozers that are determined to tear it down, or of a biker who
    will lay out a good Christian man for striking his own child for something
    this good Christian man sees as embarrasing, and the child must be put in
    line.

    The intuition of man is pointed toward the Good of man, of animal, of earth.
    This is why Pirsig so identifies with the Native American. It is the respect
    of the Good dog, of the Good turkey that the Native American feels the need
    to give thanks to; not the Creator, but the turkey, and the earth, and the
    Creator.

    As opposed to saying "no-mind," maybe we could say 'New-mind'; one that has
    not been corrupted by culture, science, and philosophy. Or else, we can say
    this Quality is out there. It is not in the mind. Man does not know it, he
    has to reach 'Out there' through meditation. I would prefer to think that he
    reaches in there; in there to a Quality that resides in man. This same
    Quality resides in everything on earth, and in the universe.

    Mystic reality is either in man or out there. It is either already built
    into man's psyche, there to be discovered when you strip away culture and
    ego, or it is out there in the universe which opens up to allow
    enlightenment.

    If it is "no-mind," then it is intuitive, or it is external.

    What you think?

    Wolff

    MD Queries -