Re: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: Matt Kundert (pirsigaffliction@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 20:44:44 GMT

    Scott, Sam, etc.,

    I think Sam and Scott are essentially right (though, predictably enough, I
    think Scott's characterization of pragmatism is a little off). In
    particular, I would bring together Sam's point that Quality is a
    redescription of experience with Scott's polemics against the empirical
    verifiability of the Quality thesis. I think the Quality-as-redescription
    thesis is at the heart of that polemic.

    Scott said:
    So in some cubic millimeter ten miles below the earth's surface there must
    be experiencing/value, or else we must say that the inorganic matter in that
    cubic millimeter does not exist. How is either statement justified
    empirically? ... Pirsig does support his claim by invoking quantum
    mechanics, and saying that probability can be seen as value, that is, that
    the subatomic entities are showing preferences for some states over others.
    This may well be a good way of thinking about it, but there is no empirical
    way to conclude it.

    Matt:
    If "Quality" is viewed as an empirical discovery, as Pirsig sometimes seems
    to characterize it, then there must be clear ways with which to determine
    its _non-existence_. There must be a clearly delineated set of criteria in
    which Quality could be proven not to exist and it must be a real possiblity.
      This is one of the first laws of scientific discovery, what I might
    characterize as the first rule for deciding whether the "vocabulary of
    discovery" is an appropriate language to use. As Scott says, "[Viewing
    probablity in quantum mechanics as value] may well be a good way of thinking
    about it, but there is no empirical way to conclude it." The basic gist is
    that as long as the ubiquity of Quality remains, as long as Pirsig says that
    Quality is reality is experience is everything, then there is no way to
    _prove_ or _disprove_ the existence of Quality. It becomes a working
    concept in a philosophical vocabulary with which we can work out certain
    philosophical consequences.

    Scott said:
    There are good reasons ... for saying that value is neither in the subject
    nor in the object. However, to go on from this and claim that the value
    exists prior to the distinction into subject and object has no empirical
    basis, as far as I can see. Instead, it appears that Pirsig makes this
    second claim based on mystical reports. But why those mystical reports and
    not others? For example, another kind of mystical report says that
    experience (or value), subject and object are all three created together in
    a kind of tri-unity. This has different philosophical consequences than the
    first one. What is the basis for choosing one over the other? Whatever it
    is, it is not empirical. It looks to me much more like a case of choosing
    one authority over another.

    Matt:
    Scott is saying here what my point was in bringing up Peirce and
    "metaphysical dogmatism" (in my original post). If there is no criteria for
    determining whether Quality is what experience really is, then it must be
    based on something else. One of those possible suggestions is a mystical
    experience. Mystical experiences here are what I called (using Peirce)
    "intuitive cognitions". 1) I think mystical experiences face infinite
    regress problems for determining certainty and 2) (which Scott says very
    well) if we grant certainty to mystical experiences, what do we do about
    differing mystical experiences? Here we face the "metaphysical dogmatism"
    to which Kant reacted, where we have various assertions of what the true
    reality is beyond appearances (i.e. assertions based on mystical
    experiences), but without any way of determining which of them is true. You
    simply make your stand and assert the Truth, which makes followers "a case
    of choosing one authority over another."

    However, there is another option for determining whether Quality is what
    experience really is, and Scott comes close to suggesting it, though he
    doesn't for an important reason. That option is the option Pirsig takes:
    our critieria are its (philosophical) consequences. This, however, is a
    pragmatist set of criteria: truth is what is good in the way of belief. If
    what I've been saying about pragmatism is true, however, the assertion of
    instrumentalist criteria eats away at the very presuppositions of the
    original question, "What is experience really?", in particular the "really"
    part. After nixing the "really" part, however, we can still assert answers
    to questions like "What is experience?" because, once we accept
    instrumentalist, pragmatic criteria for truth, the conversation then becomes
    about what is the best characterization for our purposes (what Hans
    Blumenburg, in his magesterial The Legitimacy of the Modern Age, calls the
    difference between Descartes' project of "self-grounding" and Bacon's
    project of "self-assertion"). For instance, our conversation about
    experience becomes a conversation about what characterization of it, what
    description, helps us relieve us of the most philosophical problems or
    hang-ups.

    Now, while I think Sam, Scott, and I are basically all (in the last few
    posts, at least) arraying the same type of criticisms, there are certainly
    going to be differences between us, most noticeably between Scott and Sam
    and I (though Sam and I have our differences, too). This comes out foremost
    in the fact that Scott accepts (I believe) some sort of appearance/reality
    distinction, whereas I know I do not (at least in my own characterizations),
    and I'm pretty sure Sam does not. This does not mean, however, that we
    cannot all reach for the same weapons in this instance (well, at this point
    it doesn't mean that, though naturally I have my suspicions about Scott).
    Though Scott, Sam, and I, I think, are all wielding the same weapons, our
    agreement is at a different level than our disagreements. I think we might
    say that we agree (at this juncture) in our metaphilosophy, whereas the
    philosophical language we will couch such points in (and then branch out
    with in making other points, such as Scott's supposed post-pragmatist
    appearance/reality distinction) will differ. For instance, I make my points
    using explicitly linguistic formulations, i.e. with reference to language,
    whereas Scott made his points more with a reference to experience (i.e. his
    use of "empirical").

    This difference between reference to language and reference to experience is
    one way of characterizing the difference between philosophy done by analytic
    philosophers (or, rather, philosophers having taken the "linguistic turn")
    and by metaphysicians. I think the important point to see is that we can
    agree on important metaphilosophical points, despite different formulations.
      How we characterize what we are doing is a different matter.

    This is one reason why I don't see the problem of switching points Pirsig
    makes from one idiom to another: I think the points are the same much of the
    time. Its just a matter of how we characterize them and if there are any
    problems in our characterizations. For instance, Sam and I think that,
    without dropping reference to "experience" as a philosophical concept (e.g.,
    when talking about mysticism), one will tend to fall into bad, SOMic
    philosophy. Sam and I are arguing Paul and Pirsig don't escape these
    pitfalls, but I for one am not sure about Scott.

    Matt

    p.s. Scott, I think you are absolutely right in your characterization of the
    ambiguous nature of Pirsig's use of "subject" (and vicariously of "object,"
    too). This is one very important reason why I've periodically asserted
    (most recently in October's MF discussion) that Pirsig conflates his
    problems with SOM with Cartesian epistemology (indicative of his attack on
    Plato's method of dialectic) and materialism (which I think he also subtly
    conflates with his problem with corpuscularianism and his problem with
    consumerism, partially because I see people here do it all the time).