RE: MD Absolutes and Generalities

From: Erin N. (enoonan@kent.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 19:42:02 GMT

    >What you call Pirsig's mistakes I call your misinterpretations. But, I
    >absolutely could be wrong. :-)
    >
    >Platt

    in his own words how you should take the MOQ,
    now don't try and argue Pirsig misinterpreted Pirsig ;-)

    Erin

    PIRSIG:
    Unlike SOM the MOQ does not insist on a single exclusive truth.
    If subjects and objects are held to be the ultimate
    reality then we're permitted only one construction of things, that
    which corresponds to the "objective" world and all other cosntructions are
    unreal.
    But if Quality or excellence is een as the ultimate
    reality then it becomes possible for more thean one set of truths
    to exist. Then one doesn't seek the absolute "Truth".
    One seeks instead the highlest quality intelelctual explanaton of things with
    the knowledge that if the past is any guide to thefuture this explanation
    MUST BE TAKEN PROVISIONALLY; AS USEFUL UNTIL SOMETHING
    BETTER COMES ALONG.(emphasis mine to help Platt not
    skip over that horrid p word)

    PIRSIG: The only difference between causation and the value is that the word
    "cause" implies absolute certainty whereas the implied meaning of "value" is
    one of preference. In classical science it was supposed that the world always
    works in terms of absolute certainty and that "cause" is the more appropriate
    word to describe it. But in modern quantum physics all that is changed.
    Particles "prefer" to do what they do. An individual particle is not
    absolutely committed to one predictable behavior. What appears to be an
    absolute cause is just a very consistent pattern of preferences.