RE: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2005 - 20:15:12 GMT

    Sam, Scott, Paul, all:

    Scott said to Paul:
    ...the main point is that "static patterns block the direct perception of
    DQ" is in the same mold as Kant's "the human conceptual structure blocks
    perception of the real-in-itself". With the difference that the MOQ holds
    that the block is removable, while Kant thinks it isn't.

    Sam added:
    And the tradition descending via Schleiermacher and James says that it is
    removable too - and accessible via "feeling" in Schleiermacher, "pure
    experience" in James, the "undifferentiated aesthetic continuum" in
    Northrop - and DQ in Pirsig.

    dmb says:
    Pirsig's mysticism is descended from Plato and Plotinus, from the East, from
    Native American mysticism, but not from the Modern Romantics. I think that
    its much better, much more accurate and coherent, to see the battle between
    the Kantians and the Romantics as a battle where both sides share the same
    metaphysical assumptions, as a battle that takes place within SOM. (Pirsig
    abandons the classic/romantic split, as if to tell us how easy it is to be
    fooled by this rivalry.) With some help from Roger Walsh I'd like to try to
    show the difference between subjective experiece and the mystical
    experience. (I never heard of Walsh until yesterday, so don't ask.) I posted
    a big chunk of his work in the "pesky prags" thread, but now I'll use it
    much more selectively and, hopefully, add some useful comments. For
    starters, here's where he gets to the appearance/reality distinction
    (subjectivity in relation to the world) and even identifies it as
    Modernity's central problem...

    "This worldview presented philosophers with a problem, the so-called central
    problem of modernity: namely the nature of human subjectivity and its
    relation to the world. The rational ego might say it was merely a strand in
    the great web of life, but that reduced the subjective to the
    empirical--reduced the left- to the right-hand quadrants. Now the question
    of the good life was whether to seek either autonomous agency of the
    rational ego generating its own morals and aspirations separate from the
    brute drives of nature, or on the other hand to seek communion with the
    natural world by connecting and communing with nature including its vital,
    sensual and sexual elements. This tension Wilber refers to as the conflict
    between the ego camp and the eco camp."

    dmb says:
    The rational ego is what we'd call the classical side while the nature
    lovers represent the romantic side. And we can see that Kant and
    Schleiermacher line up in those two camps. The beatnicks and hippies opposed
    the square suits for the same reason. The myth of the noble savage is fuled
    by the same romanitic vision. Round and round it goes until SOM is
    abandoned. Pirsig is able to escape this trap by looking outside the West,
    and by directly attacking its assumptions. In the MOQ, substance and self
    are not the essential features of reality, they are limited assumptions.
    Walsh gets to Kant here, but I should add that he's using ego and eco to
    describe these two camps...

    "Immanuel Kant is the exemplar of the ego camp. For him the rational ego,
    the
    moral subject, is free only to the degree he or she disengages from the
    pulls of egocentric desire and of lower social forces, and becomes
    effectively autonomous. Thus arose the subjective part of the enlightenment
    paradigm, the so-called self-defining subject, the autonomous ego,
    disengaged self, philosophy of the subject, or self-sufficient
    subjectivity."

    dmb says:
    The autonomous ego, the subjective self. This is certainly one of the most
    central ideas in SOM and it is one that Pirsig describes as a ridiculous
    fiction. That isolated, lonely self behind the eyeballs, the one that can
    never really know the world or anyone else. For SOMers all questions revolve
    around this, all experience revolves around this. But the MOQ rejects all
    that and the subjective self is secondary. Here Walsh gets to the
    romantics...

    "The eco camp on the other hand felt, quite reasonably, that this paradigm
    of
    knowledge left the subject split from and alien, monochromatic world. The
    eco camp therefore argued for a return to nature so that the "living
    sources" of human existence could be recontacted and renewed. Consequently
    the appropriate mode of knowing was held to be not disinterested thought but
    powerful feeling, and the best means of expression and enhancing
    participation with nature were felt to be poetry and art."

    dmb says:
    Is that what Pirsig is talking about? A return to nature and a reliance on
    powerful feelings? I understand that some posters might think so, but I
    don't. Not at all. I think he dondemns the hippies and romantics and the
    myth of the noble savage for being degenerate, for undermining social and
    intellectual quality with that emotional back-to-nature stuff. And so do all
    my favorite philosophical mystics...

    "The problem for the eco camp was just how to insert the self back into the
    stream of life without losing the benefits of reason. This proved
    particularly problematic since these thinkers tended to confuse
    differentiation and dissociation. Thus the developmental and evolutionary
    differentiation of the prerational fusion of self and world was seen not as
    a necessary development phase allowing subsequent higher order
    integration--but rather as a pathological process leading to paradise lost."

    dmb says:
    Pirsig describes this differentiation in terms of the intellect fighting for
    independence from the social level, which is a good thing. And the
    disassociation is described in terms of amoral objectivity, value-free
    science and all the other problems that came in the wake of the intellect's
    birth and independence. And instead of seeing the two levels as forever
    hostile and mutually exclusive, he wants to re-integarte them within a
    larger framwork, which is described above as a "higher order integration".
    And the task is to re-examine the social level, to grow up and learn to
    appreciate all your parents did to make life easy without accepting or
    rejecting anything blindly. The more basic levels, society and nature are
    seen as quality too, but romanitic confusions are relieved by putting all
    these levels of quality into a hierarchy. Here's a little more about the
    Schliermacher of the world...

    "...The eco camp, however, sought freedom from excessive objectivity,
    autonomy and instrumentality. However, it ended up overvaluing emotional,
    irrational impulses and effectively saw nature as the source of sentiment
    rather than as the embodiment of Spirit as had Plato and Plotinus."

    dmb says:
    The embodiment of spirit rather than the source of subjective feelings.
    Exactly. I think the idea in the MOQ is that all the static forms are an
    expression of DQ, a limited reflection or a finite inflection of DQ. This is
    where the idea of a cosmic order comes in, the idea that static forms are
    held together in various ways but never in such a way that it defies the
    underlying DQ. SQ embodies DQ, gives form to the formless.

    I don't have a bunch of ribbons and bows to wrap up all this stuff. I just
    wanted to sketch out a very brief history, provide an outline of the context
    in which Shleilmacher was reacting to Kant. And I think it was a battle
    within the confines of SOM. Both sides are working with assumptions that
    Pirsig and other contemporary philosophical mystics attack directly and
    reject explicitly.

    thanks,
    dmb

    MD Queries -