Re: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: Joseph Maurer (jhmau@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 20:18:38 GMT

    On 31 January 2004 10: 59 PM Ham writes to Joe

    <snip>

    [Ham] I don't know where the term "pure experience" originated, but assume
    that it came from Pirsig and not Kant who applied "pure" only to reason. In
    fact, I don't know of anything in the life-experience that can be considered
    "pure".
    Even the taste of plain vanilla is a combination of sweetness and an
    ethylated butter-like flavor.

    Hi Ham and all,

    I don't know that Pirsig uses the term pure experience. He does write in
    Lila: "Quality is a direct experience independent of and prior to
    intellectual abstractions." Lila chapter 5.

    [Ham] What piqued my interest was the distinction noted by Scott, and echoed
    by all of you, between appearance and reality. I find it strange that there
    seems to be no support in this discussion for the proposition that
    appearance IS reality. Would that not be the true empirical view --
    including the view of MoQ whose author claims an empirical foundation?

    [Joe] For me language is a toolbox for communicating. Logic is used to
    describe appearance. Analogy is used to focus my attention on direct or
    mystical experience. Metaphor is used to indicate order or show my belief.
    IMO metaphor describes an order. The way I recognize order is in the denial
    of existence, no order. Pirsig posits a social order of evolution based on
    organic evolution from inorganic evolution. I see that order in terms of
    existence. IMO "Appearance is reality" is a dogma of faith, as there is not
    any order in the existence of 'reality' except by analogy. If 'appearance is
    like reality' is used, then I am focused on the direct experience of quality
    and I can agree or disagree that is my experience. It is in terms of analogy
    or the mystical that I use "evolutionary analogue". IMO evolution in time
    follows an evolution in Quality.

    <snip>

    [Ham] The reality of essentialism is Essence, which (I assume) would qualify
    as
    your "analogue". Inasmuch as Essence is absolute, uncreated and
    undifferentiated, I can say without reservation that it is non-evolutionary.
    I should also note that Essence is not an SOM existent and is not
    experienced objectively. Inasmuch as it is incapable of direct experience,
    most of you are likely to regard Essence as nothingness. While that would
    be a "reasonable" conclusion, remember that rationality (Pirsig's
    "intellect") is precisely what creates the problematic dilemma.
    [Ham] All metaphysical theories are hypothetical. I have postulated Essence
    as
    the antithesis of nothingness. This gives Essentialism a distinct advantage
    over MoQ: it is emphatically a non-empirical philosophy. It is also free of
    the contentious arguments and suppositions having to do with the SQ/DQ
    split. The only "split" in my philosophy of Essence is differentiation
    itself. And that is due to the "negational nature" of Essence which is the
    primary cause of existence.

    [Joe] I do not see Essence used in this way as an analogy, but rather as a
    social metaphor indicating an unknowable limit in the social order or as a
    dogma of faith.

    Joe