Re: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: Ron Winchester (phaedruswolff@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 03:09:57 GMT

    Scott;
    Actually, I was very loosely paraphrasing Wilber, but my argument does not
    depend on any particular means of gaining enlightenment (nor does Wilber
    think that entering monasteries is necessary). The point is there is no
    straightforward recipe for verifying a mystical claim, and I think
    "empirical", when used to back up philosophical claims, becomes devalued
    unless the recipes are straightforward.

    Ron;
    If the mystical claim is based on the idea that everything experienced is
    experienced through the senses, this is pretty straightforward in my view.
    When you claim something ‘Out there’ creates this mystical experience, then
    it gets a little on the foggy side using reason and logic to describe it.
    Don’t ya think?

    Scott;
    My point is: why doesn't he? Why does he accept some mystical reports and
    not others? I would think empirical evidence (which Swedenborg's is
    according to Pirsig's use of the word empirical) that there is life after
    death would be of great relevance to a discussion of morality. (Please note
    that I am not expressing an opinion on the matter of whether there is life
    after death or not. I am questioning the use of the word "empirical" in the
    MOQ.)

    Ron;
    Empirical is exactly that; relying on experiment or observation. The
    mystical experience is derived from the senses; it is not a revelation from
    heaven or the stars. It is simply something already known, but unknown to
    the individual or the culture or the society or the logos of the day. It is
    the recognition that the logos of the day is nothing but the mythos of the
    day, or the myth of tomorrow. Anything real today is subject to
    reconsideration tomorrow, and anything unreal today is subject to
    reconsideration tomorrow. I think you may have already said it – ‘Reality is
    a temporary concept.’

    Scorr;
    My thoughts and feelings are not experienced through the senses.

    Ron;
    Are they empirical? -- or emotions?

    Ron earlier)The reason Pirsig avoids 'Christian
    >mysticism' (my opinion) is that in philosophical mysticism, if you have an
    >enlightening experience, you accept it, and move on. You may share it in
    >your own words that point to the experience. In Christian mysticism, if
    you
    >have an enlightening experience, someone else must explain it to you, and
    >'Tell' you whether it was a Christian experience or the devil's work
    through
    >your 'Evil Flesh.'

    Scott;
    .In short, if the mystical experience agrees with the MOQ it is valid, and
    if not, it has been filtered through authority or something to make it
    invalid. I am, to put it mildly, skeptical of this argument.

    Ron;
    I said philosophical mysticism, not MOQ Mysticism.

    Ron earlier;
    >If you experince the pure (raw) undifferentiated experience, then it is
    your
    >experience. No one can tell you what you are going to experience, and no
    one
    >can tell you whether or not it was a legitimate experience. All anyone can
    >tell you is whether or not it fits in with the Mythos of the day.

    Scott;
    The question is not what I do with an experience I might have. The question
    is can reports of such experience be called "empirical" when used to bolster
    a philosophical claim.

    Ron;
    Yes, but the philosophical claim is not considered automatically 'Right' or
    'Better than.' The Quality of this experience is not automatically decided
    upon at the moment of the experience. To the individual, I would imagine it
    is high Quality, otherwise, it could not be considered mystical. What the
    individual considers DQ may not work its way through the static patterns of
    society and/or intellect.

    Ron earlier;
    >You are right in that the variety and interpretations of the mystical
    >experience is very wide. There is no 'Ready-made', 'Hand-me-down' guides
    >understanding the mystic; as the word 'Mystic' might lend to logic, it
    can't
    >be known ahead of the experience itself. All Pirsig is saying with
    >undifferntiated experience is that it is not limited to Subject and
    Object.
    >Subject and Object do exist, and they play a key role in
    explaining/wording,
    >but all experiences do not depend on an already defined S/O.

    Scott;
    And how is any of this supported empirically? I'm not (at this point)
    denying it. I'm questioning the use of the word "empirical" as justification
    for it.

    Ron;
    It is supported by DQ; the presence of Value that is not dependent on S/O.
    SOM limits what can be considered empiricism as that which is derived from
    object. I know this (Quality) is not what you want to hear, but I must ask
    if you honestly think SOM is capable of defining all experience? If it is
    experienced should it be denied as it doesn't fit SOM? If it is not denied,
    is it empirical?

    Ron earlier)
    >It is quite simple if you do not allow your predetermined prejudices to
    get
    >in the way of your understanding and advancement in understanding of the
    >world around you. All Zen Buddhism says is to strip these predetermined
    >prejudices and ego away, and you are capable of enlightenment.

    Scott;
    Is this claim based on empirical evidence, or is it based on authority? It
    sounds to me like the latter. And if it is "quite simple", why do people
    struggle for years, in Zen monasteries and out.

    Ron)
    I wouldn't think the Monks consider it struggling. The 'Simple' comes from
    accepting enlightenment. Predetermined prejudices are simply a blind spot
    that does not allow awareness. As I write this, I must admit I am not an
    enlightened one. I cannot speak for the monks or those who are Zen Buddhist;
    just offering my limited understanding.

    For empirical evidence, try QM. Does Quantum Physics not verify to some
    extent Eastern philosophies; at least enough to consider what they have to
    say?

    Ron earlier)
    >Quality does not depend on No-thing-ness, or Oneness, or Being. Quality is
    >before all this, and encompasses all this. What the mystic experience is,
    is
    >DQ. Once experienced, it is no longer mystic. It doesn't need
    >interpretation; it has already been interpreted. It is 'Pure (raw)
    >Experience'.

    Scott;
    Umm. Pirsig, at some point, said that he regards "Quality" as the same as
    the Buddhist use of Nothingness, not as encompassing it, but nevermind.

    Ron;
    He goes on to say that Quality is before Nothingness, Oneness, Being, etc. I
    have made the statement in the past that he said 'Nothingness' fit in with
    the concept of Quality better than the others. I must admit that I can not
    say this for certainty as I do not consider Lila a bible, and do not hang on
    every word as 'The Word.'

    Scott;
    What is your means for convincing a skeptic that the mystic experience is
    DQ?

    Ron;
    The mystic experience is DQ, which then becomes SQ, which then either works
    its way into the patterns or not. It can be DQ for the experiencer, and
    cannot be DQ for the skeptic at the same time. The skeptic would need to
    experience their DQ. If the skeptic is not capable of accepting DQ, then
    there is no way I know of to convince them other than allowing your DQ to do
    the test of SQ processes. There is nothing to say that my mystical
    experience should be accepted by others. If I share, they must work it out
    for themselves.

    Scott;
    Is it an empirically determined fact? If so, how has is it been
    determined?

    Ron;
    It is a philosophical theory. It is not a fact. A fact can be temporary, and
    philosophicl theory can be temporary, and should be viewed as temporary, and
    a theory. Theory should not be considered a fact, but it seems in some
    academic circles theories are mistaken for facts.

    Pirsig's is a philosophical theory that lends itself to empricism, but does
    not limit empiricism to SOM. Einstein and Bohr can disagree; so can we. It
    is from this disagreement that the mythos of the day gives way to the mythos
    of tomorrow.

    Pirsig's MOQ is a 'Better' roadmap IMHO, and I think Pirsig would be the
    first to believe the MOQ only temporarily. The 'Better' road map as
    philosophy, like science, is, or at least should be open to new discoveries.