RE: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 19:05:38 GMT

    Scott and all MOQers:

    dmb said to Scott:
    I'm truely baffled as to why you persist in this error. I don't know of any
    kind of mystic who says the mystical truth can be apprehended through
    intellect. It contradicts the most basic assertion of philosophical
    mysticism and, as I've pointed out, directly to you at least a half a dozen
    times, Plointus says the same thing as Pirsig on this point. Please, do me a
    favor. Don't ignore it again. Look. Its right in front of your eyes...

    Plotinus says, "of this One no descripton nor scientific knowledge is
    possible" and "he who wishes to see the Intelligible must abandon all
    imagery of the perceptible in order to contemplate what is beyond the
    perceptible, so he who wishes to contemplate what is beyond the Intelligible
    will attain the contemplation of it by letting go everything intelligible"

    Scott deleted the quote from Plotinus and replied:
    And you ignore what I have said. ............................ What I have
    been saying is that Plotinus' metaphysics says that the first emanation from
    the One is Intellect (nous), and that the way of the seeker toward the One
    is to build up their intellect -- he recommends studying mathematics and
    then dialectic in order to move oneself to union with Intellect from
    which -- since it is the first emanation -- one can contemplate the One.

    dmb now says:
    I've ignored this assertion? Are you insane? This is exactly what I am
    disputing. This is what I'm objecting to. I've shown you, in Plotinus's own
    words, that seeing the One requires "letting go of everything intelligible".
    And what is your response? You delete the quote (none so blind) and simply
    re-assert the directly contradictory view that the One is to be attained
    through study, through mathematics and the intellect. This interpretation is
    bad for the simple reason that you have Plotinus contradicting himself as
    well as defying the most central characteristic of philosophical mysticism.

    Scott persisted:
    And I will add that Merrell-Wolff is a modern mystic who also recommends
    studying philosophy and mathematics. Neither M-W nor Plotinus say that one
    can capture mystical truth in a thought or in a mathematical formula. They
    are saying that the way (or rather one way), is to purify the intellect by
    exercising it.

    dmb says:
    I've used Merrell-Wolff quotes to show you the same idea, several times,
    without effect. I don't know what else to say at this point. In any case,
    its very clear to me that both of "your" guys are only saying what Pirsig is
    saying and your assertions that mysticism is both ineffible AND apprehended
    through the intellect, purified or otherwise, only demonstrates a profound
    confusion on your part. Do you know what the word "ineffable" means? You're
    making a case that the mystical experience is its very opposite. You're
    saying that the best non-rational means is a rational means. I'm sorry but
    the law of contradictory identity does not give one license to be stupid.
    I've laid this out as clearly as I know how. Why delete the quotes I've
    begged you to look at? It makes me crazy. Its like talking to a wall.

    Scott quoted Pirsig [Lila, Ch. 5]:
    "Mystics will tell you that once you've opened the door to metaphysics you
    can say goodbye to any genuine understanding of reality. Thought is not a
    path to reality. It sets obstacles in that path because when you try to use
    thought to approach that which is prior to thought your thinking does carry
    you toward that something. It carries you *away* from it."

    Scott said:
    Pirsig's attitude toward thought vis-avis a "genuine understanding of
    reality" is what you will find in Schleiermacher and James, but not in
    Plotinus or Plato. Pirsig and Plotinus are the same insofar as they both
    hold that discursive thought cannot capture ultimate truth, (but as far as
    that goes, Pirsig is the same as Aquinas, Calvin, and the Pope), but they
    differ vastly in their metaphysics and their attitude toward intellect. In
    the latter case, Pirsig is like Shleiermacher and James, not like Plotinus
    or Plato.

    dmb replies:
    Pirsig, an anti-theist, is the same as the Pope, the ultimate theist? But
    he's not like Plotinus or Plato despite what Pirsig himself says about
    Plotinus and Plato, despite the parallels I've shown? I guess we'll just
    have to disagree about that too. I think you are a very poor reader who
    manages to misinterpret nearly everything and that, consequently, your
    assertions amount to one contradiction after another.

    Thanks,
    dmb