Re: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: Matt Kundert (pirsigaffliction@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 20:50:57 GMT

    Hey Scott,

    Scott said:
    Perhaps "motivation" is too strong. But there are occasions where he says
    that he sees pragmatism as a continuation of the Enlightenment project of
    doing away with religious baggage. On getting off the see-saw between
    materialism and idealism, I again see cases where he has gotten off on the
    materialist side, and seems to assume that all of his audience has as well.

    Now here he is arguing against the Nagel's and Searles's, who also happen to
    be materialists. So within this context, Rorty makes sense. But if the
    reader (me) is not a materialist, then I can agree with Rorty that it is
    good to get rid of the intuition that "truth is more than assertability" but
    it is bad to get rid of the intuition that "there is more to pains than
    brain-states". So overall, I consider this passage only makes sense if
    wherever it says "pragmatist" it is understood that he is saying "pragmatist
    who happens to be a materialist".

    Now I also want to remove the captivity of the Cartesian-Lockean picture of
    the mind, and the Cartesian Theater, but I also want to remove Darwinism as
    an account of the origin of consciousness and language (I hold that
    consciousness and language do not have a temporal origin. Rather, time is a
    product of consciousness). So, again, Rorty is speaking as a pragmatist who
    is also a materialist. So the big question in my mind is whether it is
    possible to be an immaterialist pragmatist, since it seems that whenever I
    want to state a disagreement I have with Rorty, I am saying something about
    the ultimate nature of reality. Which, on the other hand, is why I would
    claim that Rorty is himself saying something about the ultimate nature of
    reality, for example, in his adoption of Darwinism. To steal from his
    vocabulary, I fail to see how Darwinism makes any difference in how one
    deals with any environment other than the philosophical one -- seeing it,
    that is, as a reason to deny immaterialism.

    Matt:
    Its true, there aren’t many live idealists or immaterialists or
    panpsychists. And its true, as Rorty is certainly willing to admit in his
    older age, there are some passages in his earlier writings that are a little
    too gung-ho about a kind of militant atheism and/or materialism. But I
    think you are still missing the main thrust of these passages (the same
    thrust that is even in his earliest writings on mind/brain identity), the
    thrust of which comes out better in relation to religion in his later, more
    recent works (I’m particularly thinking of “Pragmatism as Romantic
    Polytheism” and “Pragmatism as Antiauthoritarianism”).

    Rorty wants us to ditch the intuition that “there is more to pain than
    brain-states” because in its rendering in the philosophical tradition it has
    led to epistemological controversy. He sees “truth is more than
    assertability” and “pain is more than a brain-state” as part of the
    constellation of problems that Plato bequethed us. Now, you are saying that
    there is a difference. You want to say that while “truth is more than
    assertability” is hopelessly Platonic, “pain is more than a brain-state” is
    not. While Rorty thinks that a physicalist explanation of pain is all we
    need, you think there is more to pain that needs explaining. The question
    at hand is what that is. The crux, I think though, is that if there is
    something more we need about pain, why do we need a vocabulary that
    supplants the one we use for predicting and controlling physical pain, the
    one that treats pain as a brain-state and nothing more. Why can’t we have
    more than one vocabulary for dealing with pain, based on whatever purposes
    we need them for? Rorty himself uses two different vocabularies. In PMN,
    he uses the vocabularly of mind/brain identity to dissolve the apparent
    epistemological difficulty with pain. In CIS, though, he uses a moral
    vocabulary to capture the important interest we have in pain (specifically
    cruelty and humiliation).

    I keep bucking against your formulation of the controversy between us
    because I don’t think any of it is hinged on me being a materialist and you
    not. _Materialism_ as an ontological thesis only makes sense if you are
    doing Cartesian metaphysics. The see-saw between materialism and idealism
    isn’t dropped because, hey guess what, materialism wins. Materialism can’t
    win and neither can idealism, at least not as long as the philosophical
    tradition continues, because there is no criteria to determine the victor.
    Rorty is trying to show us the way off that see-saw by showing epistemology
    to the door. What is left is not materialism-as-an-ontological-thesis, but
    commonsense-materialism, the kind that says that physics is good at
    predicting stuff and the kitchen table will be there even if we aren’t.
    Non-reductive physicalists don’t need physics for anything more than that,
    just as we don’t need kitchen tables for anything more than holding things
    up while we’re gone.

    For me, this all revolves around the idea of _reductionism_. Reductionists
    want to reduce _everything_ to a certain, priveleged vocabulary. Rorty
    doesn’t want to do that anymore. His struggles against other materialists
    is the struggle to show them that there really isn't anything that
    interesting about materialism, that they should stop being reductionists.
    Vocabularies are useful for some things and not for other things. We try
    them out and if they don’t work, if there are too many problems, you can try
    another vocabulary. The idea of pragmatism that Rorty adheres to is that
    there is no sense in priveleging any vocabulary over any other because there
    is no sense in priveleging one set of purposes and goals over another, at
    least not in any universal, general sense. Sometimes we want to predict,
    sometimes we want to interpret a poem, sometimes we want to figure out why
    we eat dirt. Physics is good for one, a Bloomian theory of genius for
    another, and a Freudian notion of the uncounscious for the other. But there
    are many more purposes than those, and so many more vocabularies. If
    Darwinism’s only consequence is in the philosophical community, than that’s
    the only consequence we need for Darwinism to be useful, the only purpose
    for which we need Darwinism. (I don’t think that’s Darwinism’s only
    consequence, but then I’m not really sure what you’re getting at there.)

    The idea is that you can be an immaterialist in Rorty’s world _as long as
    you don’t propound metaphysical theses_. You see to want to, but only in
    the sense, it would seem, that nobody can help but to. Two things, though:
    If metaphysics is that ubiquitous, we have a question-begging problem
    because the pragmatist doesn’t think she has to propound metaphysical
    theses, she thinks they are optional. (I’ll talk more about the relation
    between metaphilosophy, philosophy, and metaphysics in my next response to
    your other post.) And two: Why don’t you think metaphysical theses lead to
    epistemology? This ties to my claim at the beginning of my latest series of
    interloctions: “To deny the need to do epistemology, and maintain an
    appearance/reality distinction, is to regress to a pre-Cartesian
    ‘metaphysical dogmatism’ where we simply assert our correct interpretations
    of the True Reality without any criteria for success.” How is this not bad?

    I guess the gist of what I don’t get is what we get from an immaterialist
    account. How does it supersede, and on what counts, physicalism?
    Presumably you think physics works for some things, so on those counts you’d
    be a physicalist. Where does it end? I’m guessing “at the point of
    consciousness,” but why can’t we have a Darwinian account of consciousness?
    You invert the cycle (“time [and presumably creation in general] is a
    product of consciousness”), but where does that really leave us? We’ve
    learned from many different philosophers that we can call reality “God” or
    “Good” or “Quality” or “Spirit” or “Being” or “Idea,” but the thing we keep
    learning is that often it doesn’t take us any place different, at least any
    place we can get to without epistemology. Spinoza’s God and Berkeley’s Idea
    didn’t leave us any place different and neither does Pirsig’s Quality. They
    were creative redescriptions for very distinct purposes (make room for God
    in a mechanistic universe, show how bound up our minds are with the world,
    show how bound up the act of valuing is with our encounter with the world).
    So what is your purpose? If we can accept physicalism on certain counts,
    what counts does it fail and what alternative are you proposing?

    Scott said:
    Given the history of what happens when religion is argued on the public
    stage, e.g., the Thirty Years War, burning heretics, etc., one has to be
    grateful to the Enlightenment for putting an end to it, or trying to. So on
    a practical level, I agree with this. But on a philosophical level, I don't.

    Moreover, in part thanks to the Enlightenment, the question of intellectual
    responsibility very much does arise in religion. I happen to think that
    religion and reason are entirely compatible, that a religious outlook is
    more reasonable than a secular one, and though it will take a long time, the
    One, True religion -- whatever it turns out to be -- is something that
    should be a goal to work out publicly, as a matter of intellectual
    responsibility. Our current pluralist state of many religions living side by
    side is a temporary stage of human development, that can be overcome through
    intellectual endeavor. Now I consider it extremely unlikely that I can
    convince you or Rorty of this, so he is right that it is a case of
    "intentional states which can rarely be justified, to our peers". But this
    leaves open whether this is because of the nature of religion or the state
    of our intellectual development.

    Matt:
    Rorty doesn’t want anything more than the practical level most times. Rorty
    works on two levels, too. The most important level is the practical level,
    which is the point of his claiming the “priority of democracy to
    philosophy.” On the philosophical level, Rorty would more often than not
    stigmatize a lot of religious beliefs (ala Nietzsche) as “metaphysical
    comfort.” But that doesn’t mean there aren’t more purposes than that. One
    purpose that Rorty has had a hard time coming to terms with is the idea of
    religion being a social movement, ala MLK’s movement and the Christian
    Coalition. Martin Luther King was undoubtedly good and religion played a
    strong (if not primary) role in the American Civil Rights movement. (Look
    at Ghandi, too.) But on the other hand, the Christian Coalition is a bunch
    of thuggish, cultural reactionaries trying to use politics to make everyone
    more like them. (Look at the Taliban, too.) So what are we supposed to do?
      Rorty’s not entirely sure. In PSH you have a copy of “Religion as a
    Conversation-Stopper,” which I still see as essentially right. Recently
    though, Rorty has rescinded on some of his views in that short paper (can’t
    remember what it was called, but I think its on the internet someplace),
    mostly through conversations, I have a feeling, with his past Princeton
    colleagues Cornel West (who’s trying to revive a liberal tradition rooted in
    Christianity) and Jeffery Stout (who recently published a greatly received
    book, Democracy and Tradition).

    But I guess the real question is, if you agree with our current situation
    even as you disagree both in predicting and hoping for the future, what
    would you have us do on a political level? For if cultural progress is as
    Rorty models it, as a conversation, it is entirely possible that the
    conversation, in the full extent of time, will swing to your favor. We may
    end up all religious in a sense you are predicting and hoping for. But this
    type of Peircian/Habermasian thesis that the True will be reached at the end
    of Conversation plays no part in the actual conversation working out better
    and better descriptions. We just keep having the conversation, and
    intellectually evolving, until it stops. Our intellectual responsibility is
    Miltonian: if we keep “free and open encounters” and keep the conversation
    going by not letting it stop by, say, political fiat, then truth will work
    itself out.

    Matt