Re: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: Ian Glendinning (ian@psybertron.org)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 10:32:09 GMT

    Matt,

    This is a wonderful post. I shall treasure the educational value of the
    content itself.
    Scott has his own strong convictions and I'm not sure he'll buy your
    message.

    At one level this supremely reinforces to me that our problems are entirely
    lingusitic and matters of linguistic freedom. (When I say "our problems",
    I'm not of course talking about disagreements on MoQ-Discuss, I mean every
    explanation or understanding in life, of the kind "how does that work ?".)

    FWIW I don't buy your three definitions, but you are honest enough to
    introduce them as your working definitions for the purpose of debate. I like
    to think I think the same way. (BTW I'd love to hear your equivalent
    definitions of "natural science" and common or garden "physics" in similar
    terms, distinct from philosophy / meta / etc. but that is an aside.)

    Bringing it back to MoQ (from all the -isms), I think the key aspect is the
    rules it provides about "freedom" from strictures whilst still providing
    those static latches culturally accepted by generations of evolution. The
    constraints are only "by agreement for the purposes of argument".

    Let the argument continue.
    Ian.