RE: MD DQ people

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 02:27:09 GMT

    Wim, Horse and all:

    The question was:
    'Who is your favorite contrarian? What is so static as to be an enemy of
    life?'

    Wim said:
    My favorite is irrelevant, but on a global scale THE contrarians of the
    present period are the (very diverse) movements for an other globalization.
    The static patterns they rally against are the patterns of the present form
    of
    globalization. Globalization, opening up societies to the world market and
    to a global consumerist culture, is very dynamic (with small 'd'), but at
    the same time seen as imposing the same culture (= static pattern)
    everywhere.

    DMB says:
    Interesting answer. I think I'm with you on this one. The kind of
    globalization that we're watching is pretty damn static. I mean, its not
    really globalization at all. Its the world wide export of provincial, narrow
    corporate values. Its about destroying a world a variety in favor of the New
    McWorld Order. You want fries with that?