RE: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 00:22:04 GMT

    Scott, Ron and all MOQers:

    On Friday, Scott said to Ron:
    Any time you want to address the reasons I gave for objecting to Pirsig's
    expansion of the word "empirical", let me know. Those reasons have nothing
    to do with SOM vs. MOQ, and the reasons apply to James' expansion as well.
    They are about keeping the useful distinction between readily sharable
    experience and private experience. This does not imply that private
    experience should be dismissed, just that it is useful to distinguish
    between them.

    dmb chimes in:
    Let you know? Dude, he already addressed your objections. You claimed that
    empirical experience means sensory experience within philosophy and that any
    other notion was confusing. In response, Ron provided quotes from famous
    philosophers who have said otherwise going back a hundred years. How is that
    NOT a direct contradiction of your assertion? Sigh. There is some
    consolation that comes with the realization that Scott is oblivious in
    general and not just with me. And besides that, how is the "useful"
    distinction between sharable experience and private experience anything
    other than a slip back into SOM?

    Scott said:
    Wilber [in Eye to Eye] identifies three kinds of inquiry:
    empirical-analytic (the Eye of the Flesh)
    mental-phenomonological (the Eye of the Mind)
    transcendental (the Eye of Contemplation)
    All three are sources of data and knowledge, and all three (in my opinion,
    as well as Wilber's) are legitimate input to one's philosophizing. So all I
    am saying is that the MOQ does not need to expand "empirical", and in doing
    so, creates unnecessary confusion, as Wilber said.

    dmb says:
    That's just plain wrong. In factr, Wilber says exactly the opposite, that
    the limited meaning of "empiricial" has created the confusion and that an
    expansion is what we need...

    "Moving from the profoundly important notion that all knowledge must be
    ultimately grounded in experience, many classical empiricists collaspsed
    this to the absurd notion that all knowledge must be reduced to, and derived
    from, colored patches. The myth of the given, the brain-dead flatland stare,
    the monological gaze, the modern nightmare: with this impoverished
    empiricism, we can have little sympathy."

    dmb says:
    Further, Ken Wilber uses the word in exactly in the way Scott would
    prohibit. Either Wilber is fond of contradicting himself and violating his
    own prohibitions, or Scott is one seriously confused guy...

    "We have seen that authentic spirituality is not the product of the eye of
    flesh and its sensory empiricism, not the eye of mind and its rational
    empirisicm, but only, finally, the eye of contemplation and its spiritual
    empiricism (religious experience, spiritual illumination, or satori, by
    whatever name)."

    dmb concludes:
    As Ant suggested, its best if we stick to Pirsig's definitions and such. I
    agree with that sentiment entirely. And so its worth mentioning that I've
    brought Wilber into the discussion whenever his ideas illuminate Pirsig and
    this is just such a case. Here is one of Pirsig's most concise descriptions
    of this same epistemological pluralism...

    "When an American Indian goes into isolation and fasts in order to achieve a
    vision, the vision he seeks in not a romantic understanding of the surface
    beauty of the world. (Its not seen with the eye of flesh) Neither is it a
    vision of the world's classic intellectual form. (Its not seen with the eye
    of the mind) It is something else. Since this whole metaphysics had started
    with an attempt to explain Indian mysticism (Seen with the eye of
    contemplation.) Phaedrus finally abandoned this classic-romatic split as a
    choice for the primary division of the MOQ. The division he finally..."

    thanks,
    dmb