RE: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 18:56:57 GMT

    Scott and all:

    Scott said to dmb:
    I note that you have chosen to overlook the direct quote from Wilber in
    which he say he is restricting his use of empirical "to avoid ambiguities".
    Here is where he says that [Eye to Eye, p. 43]

    dmb replies:
    Actually, I don't have Eye to Eye and had intended to ask you for some
    context. In fact, I was going to present a challenge and ask for the whole
    paragraph in which the quote appears as well as the whole paragraph before
    and after that one. I was going to bet you big bucks that Wilber was not
    saying what you suggest at all and that it would only take three paragraphs
    to expose yet another one of your misinterpretations. Turns out that I
    didn't have to ask and and it only took two paragraphs. Its clear to me that
    Wilber is talking about the confusion that results when broader empiricists
    talk to to the narrow ones and the care that should be taken. We don't want
    the guys in the lab coats to think we mean that we LITERALLY saw God with
    our eyes. A guy could get locked up or laughed out of a career for such
    things. But in the very same breath he is still saying that limiting
    "experience to sensory-empiric modes" is a "reductionist fallacy" and that
    this reduction was a "great and enduring crime". Its clear to me that Wilber
    is simply telling us how to talk with these reductionist criminals. If the
    broader empiricist are operating with the 3 eyes of epistemological
    pluralism but they are talking to those who insist there is only one eye,
    its gonna confuse them. That's what he means in saying the sensory
    empiricists are committing a "category error"; its a confusion about which
    eye is appropriate. He's not saying we should be joining them in their
    narrowness, only how to speak to it. (The full quotes are repeated at the
    bottom of this post.)

    Scott said:
    So. Don't you think that, at least when he wrote this, Wilber would have
    said that Pirsig, by his expansion of the word "empirical" should be
    included among those who "completely confound matters"?

    dmb replies:
    No. That's another thing. Wilber remarks are aimed at "the new humanists and
    transpersonal psychologists" who are talking to mainstream scientists.
    Pirsig is doing metaphysics and is quite explicit and detailed about
    clearing up these matters. He is also a critic of the narrow version of
    empiricism, which is all tangled up in SOM, and represents one of its main
    flaws. I think Pirsig should be counted among those who are helping here.
    (The idea of levels of reality goes along with epistemological pluralism and
    both are features of the perennial philosophy.) In short, Pirsig does not
    commit the kind of "category errors" or "reductionists fallacies" that
    Wilber is complaining about here, but you certainly are.

    Scott said:
    Given these contrary quotes, I think we will have to say that Wilber is the
    confused guy, not me.

    dmb replies:
    You express a very high level of certainty and a very high level of
    wrongness at the same time. The effect of this juxtaposition is humorous
    enough that I caught myself laughing out loud as I read it. Its not exactly
    a knee-slapper or a belly-laugher, but I distinctly heard a snort and a
    chuckle.

    Scott said:
    Again (and how many times do I have to say this), I am not denying that we
    learn from other ways than the senses. I ACCEPT what you call
    epistemological pluralism. I REJECT expanding the word "empirical" to the
    mental-phenomenological and the transcendental, for the same reason that
    Wilber gave in Eye to Eye.

    dmb replies:
    Again with the snort and the chuckle. I'm reporting my spontaneous and
    immediate reaction here, I swear. Here you have rejected AND accepted the
    same thing at the same time. This is how confused you are, dude.
    Epistemological pluralism IS BY DEFINITION the expansion of the meaning of
    the word empirical. (Actually, its not so much an expansion as it is a
    restoration of what Modernity had collapsed.) Where did you learn how to
    read, Scott? You really should get yourself a lawyer and sue those bastards.
    They done you wrong. ;-) But seriously, you have contradicted yourself
    again, this time within a single paragraph. Don't know if I can take much
    more of this kind of "fun".

    Thanks,
    dmb

    I'm done, but here's a little context for the Wilber quote in question...

    "Let me repeat that one of the reasons that ambiguity can and does occur is
    that "experience" can be used in the broad sense ("direct awareness"), but
    then also given a common and much narrower meaning: *sensory* perceptions.
    By consciously or unconciously juxtaposing those meanings, the modern-day
    empiricist can ridicule the idea of knowledge outside experience (so far, so
    good), but then *limit* experience to the sensory-empiric modes
    (reductionistic fallacy, category error, etc.). And so to completely
    confound matters, many of the new humanistic and transpersonal
    psychologists, working mostly with intelligibilia and transcendentalia, and
    correctly realizing that their data is indeed experiential (in the broad
    sense), and wishing equal recognition as "real sciences", simply *call*
    their endeavors and their data "empirical", only to find that strict
    empirical scientists simply reject their results, sometimes with undisguised
    mocking."

    "To avoid these ambiguities, I will restrict the term "empirical" to its
    original meaning: knowledge grounded in sensory experience (sensibilia). I
    suggest humanistic and transpersonal psychologists do the same. Classical
    empiricism was an attempt to reduce all higher knowledge and experience to
    sensory knowledge and experience. The emphasis on direct experience (in the
    broad sense) was the great and enduring contribution of the empiricists; the
    reduction of experience to sensory experience was their great and enduring
    crime." Ken Wilber