RE: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 21:47:29 GMT

    Ant, Scott, Sam, Matt and all MOQists:

    Ant said to Scott:
    .., materialism sees everything in the universe as being composed of
    physical substance while the MOQ sees it as composed of value - physical
    substance being just one (probable) manifestation of value.

    Scott replied:
    True, this is different. But as I have argued, a manifestation of value only
    makes sense if there is awareness of value.

    Then Ant McWatt said:
    Well, I think this is the crux of the matter. Pirsig is assuming that all
    there has been and all there ever will be are values. If awareness is
    defined as self-consciousness it has only developed relatively recently and
    will possibly disappear at some point in the future. ...To deny that values
    are self-contained is to re-introduce SOM via having a "senser" and
    "something sensed".

    dmb chimes in:
    Exactly. Here's the crux of the matter. Ironically, Scott, Sam, Matt and
    some of Pirsig's other critics are insisting that Pirsig is the one who
    can't ahke off those SOM assumtions. In actuality the MOQ only looks that
    way to them because they can't get those SOM goggles off. Its forgivable
    because it is quite a lot to overcome, but I still get crazy over it because
    the correcting idea has been presented to these gents explicitly and
    repeatedly. Look, here we have Dr. McWatt calling attention to his
    philosophy textbook, one that includes comments from Pirsig on the matter
    within a coherent context. We have Pirsig speaking to this point in Dan's
    book, in LILA and in ZAMM. From start to finish, Pirsig is consistent on
    this point. Here are nearly 30 years worth of quotes from him...

    "This means Quality is not just the result of a collision between
    subject and object. The very existence of subject and object themselves
    is deduced from the Quality event. The Quality event is the cause of the
    subjects and objects, which are then mistakenly presumed to be the cause
    of the Quality!" [ZMM Ch19]

    "The Metaphysics of Quality says pure experience is value. Experience which
    is not valued is not experienced. The two are the same." [LILA p418]

    Pirsig spoke directly to this misconception in [LILA'S CHILD] when Bo asked,
    "If the world is composed of values, then who is doing the valuing?"...

    "This is a subtle slip back into subject-object thinking. Values have been
    converted to a kind of object in this sentence, and then the question is
    asked, "If values are an object, then where is the subject?" The answer is
    found in the MOQ sentence, "It is not Lila who has values, it is values that
    have Lila." Both the subject and the object are patterns of value."

    And

    "I think the trouble is with the word, "experience." It is...commonly used
    as a subject-object relationship. This relationship is usually considered
    the basis of philosophic empiricism and experimental scientific knowledge.
    In a subject-object metaphysics, this experience is between a preexisting
    object and subject, but in the MOQ, there is no pre-existing subject or
    object....So in the MOQ experience comes first, everything else comes
    later..."

    dmb continues:
    What can a person do to make it any clearer? I sincerely wonder. Scott and
    others keep asking the same question is various forms: who or what is doing
    the valueing? But in the MOQ values and experience are the same thing. And
    this event preceeds the ideas of who and what is going on. Maybe its a bit
    sloppy to put it this way, but for the sake of simplicity think of it like
    this: Experience is the most basic and fundamental feature of reality.
    Everything begins there. Awareness of this kind is not to be confused with
    self-consciousness or our common sense notions of subjective experience. Its
    more basic than that and does not depend on biological creatures with sense
    organs, which are only ideas after the more primary experience. Failing to
    grasp this idea...

    Scott asked:
    Was there consciousness before the biological level came into being?

    dmb quotes Pirsig on that point too...

    "In the MOQ empirical experience begins with Quality which generates
    intellectual patterns. One of these intellectual patterns is named 'senses,'
    but this pattern is derived from the study of anatomy and is not primary in
    the actual empirical process."

    "The MOQ agrees that the senses are primary in an anatomical explanation of
    [the] empirical process. So the statement in Lila seems correct to me. But
    at the cutting edge of the actual Dynamic empirical moment these anatomical
    explanations are nowhere to be found."

    Scott is exactly wrong. ...It's remarkable, really. It's like Scott has made
    a game of it and has devoted himself to avoiding correct interpretations at
    all costs.

    Ant McWatt added:
    Why I think this is happening is because Scott still hasn't got his head
    around the fundamental tenet of the MOQ i.e. that (ontologically) values
    come before subjects and objects, not simultaneously with them and certainly

    not before them. Without taking this tenet fully on board, confusion
    regarding Pirsig's work will follow.

    dmb says:
    Right. One has to shed the idea that experience requires a pre-existing
    subject. The MOQ's no-self mysticism eludes these same critics for this same
    reason. In their hands the mystical experience is confused with subjective
    experience, with biological or intellectual static quality rather than DQ.
    Those SOM goggles distort everything beyond recognition so that DQ is
    interpreted to be Kantian, theistic, Jamesian, or some other SOM based
    concept. But this is in the eye of the beholder. Here's another example...

    Scott argued:
    But (as I have argued) value implies awareness of value,

    Ant objected:
    Only if you take an SOM stance. The MOQ is intuitively "wrong" for the
    typical Western mind and it is this priority of subjects and objects before
    values which need to be mentally broken. Pirsig argues that metaphysics is
    improved by placing values first and I think you should examine the
    pragmatic results and consequences of his "Copernican inversion" in order to
    judge the merits of his system rather than begging the question in the first
    place.

    dmb says:
    Notice how we are still dealing with this same crucial issue? Despite the
    lenght of the post, I clipped everthing except the most conspicuous displays
    of this persistent misconception.

    Ant McWatt said to Scott:
    A conflation of intellect (as understood by Pirsig) with Dynamic Quality
    will be confusing if applied to the MOQ. A real spanner in the works which
    I'm opposed to.

    dmb says:
    Right. This one kills me too. The central assertion of philosophical
    mysticism is that DQ can only be apprehended by NON-RATIONAL means, which is
    to say that it can not be apprehended intellectually. Scott's conflation of
    the two claims the very opposite, defies the MOQ's static'/dynamic split and
    thereby demonstrates a misconception of the MOQ's most central ideas. About
    these critiques...

    Scott said to Ant:
    And that you call posts in which the author (DMB) calls me "confused",
    "having a blindspot", "hypnotized", "unable to read", because he misreads
    what I have I said, responding abusively to imagined disagreements and not
    actual ones -- that you call them "excellent" boggles my mind.

    Ant McWatt replied:
    When I stated that David Buchanan's posts were generally excellent I was
    referring to their intellectual content - the way David clarifies and
    expands various parts of the MOQ rather than referring to his insults.
    However, I can see why he (and Marsha) are frustrated with your recent posts

    because you are tending to distort the MOQ rather than clarifying or adding
    to it. Of course, that's a generalisation as, on the other hand, you have
    made some very good observations. You wouldn't be quoted twice in my PhD
    if that wasn't the case!

    dmb concludes:
    I'm sorry that I've made you feel "abused", Scott. From my POV it is quite
    all right to heap criticism on a fellow philosopher. I think that is a
    perfectly legitimate way to treat one's opponent and does not constitute
    abuse. Its proper use. It might not be very pleasant to see critical
    comments about one's ideas, but I am not just calling you names either. I've
    tried my best to explain exactly why your views are confused, to explain the
    cause of the blindspot, to show you how you've misread and misinterpreted
    with quotes and explanations. Surely it matters that I am at least trying to
    make a case. I mean, there is a discernable difference between legitimate
    criticism and mere insult. If I've failed to make that distinction, then I
    really am sorry, Scott - you ignorant slut!