MD Schleirmacher again

From: Sam Norton (elizaphanian@kohath.wanadoo.co.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2005 - 13:08:19 GMT

    Hi all,

    Serendipitously, I came across this:
    http://theologytoday.ptsem.edu/oct1977/v34-3-article2.htm

    Interesting quotation below.

    Sam

    The author says this:
    "As a young scientist, Phaedrus discovered that he could invent an infinite
    number of hypotheses to explain any set of data. That struck him as a good
    joke until he realized that it implied that any scientific theory apparently
    rests on an arbitrary choice of one of those hypotheses. Yet our society
    treats science as the model of objective knowledge. Phaedrus found another
    model for knowledge while teaching freshman composition. His students didn't
    know the "rules of good writing," he found, but, when he read their papers
    aloud in class, they could all pick out the best essays, even though they
    couldn't explain the reasons for their choices. Somehow, they could
    intuitively recognize "Quality":

    At the cutting edge of time, before an object can be distinguished, there
    must be a kind of nonintellectual awareness, which he called awareness of
    Quality. You can't be aware that you've seen a tree until after you've seen
    the tree, and between the instant of vision and the instant of awareness
    there must be a time lag. . . Any intellectually conceived object is always
    in the past and therefore unreal. Reality is always the moment of vision
    before the intellectualization takes place. There is no other reality.

    At this point theologians may recall Schleiermacher's remarkably similar
    account of the process of knowing:

    You become sense and the Whole becomes object. Sense and object mingle and
    unite, then each returns to its place, and the object rent from sense is a
    perception, and you rent from the object are for yourselves, a feeling. It
    is this earlier moment I mean, which you always experience yet never
    experience. The phenomenon of your life is just the result of its constant
    departure and return. It is scarcely in time at all, so swiftly it passes;
    it can scarcely be described, so little does it properly exist . It is
    immediate, raised above all error and misunderstanding. You lie directly on
    the bosom of the infinite world.

    Like Pirsig, Schleiermacher was trying to break down distinctions between
    objective science and subjective matters of value. Ethical and aesthetic
    judgments don't merely offer interpretations of a reality which science
    accurately describes; rather, both scientific theories and value responses
    point to a common source which neither can ever fully capture. For Pirsig
    (and in a different way for Schleiermacher) the answer to a technology gone
    amok and values that fail to touch reality is to probe that common source,
    prior to all our conceptual thinking.

    Pirsig believes that this vision of Quality was Phaedrus' greatest insight,
    yet it may also have been a step on his road to madness. "There is no other
    reality" than Quality; Phaedrus took that seriously enough to deny the
    reality of either our feelings or the objects we think we recognize in the
    world. A philosophy that began with caring about friends and red wing
    blackbirds and motorcycle gearshifts in all their concreteness and
    particularity ended by concluding that all attempts to distinguish this from
    that, better from worse, introduce distortion and illusion. As Hegel said
    about Romantics like Schleiermacher, an exclusive emphasis on the
    preconceptual leaves only the night in which all cows are black. And
    Phaedrus ended up in a mental hospital when, for him, nothing mattered at
    all.
    <snip>
    Should we try to follow Phaedrus to his mountaintop? I think not, for he
    seems to have taken a wrong turn. It's hard to quarrel with his diagnosis.
    Something is amiss when value judgments are relegated to a purely subjective
    realm of "just what you like." Technology does seem to be out of control,
    partly because of this lack of any clear standards for deciding which of its
    uses are good ones. Serious questions have arisen about the foundations of
    science. And nothing short of serious metaphysical thinking can really deal
    with such issues.

    The problem lies, not with Phaedrus' questions, but with his answers. Most
    of the students whose enthusiasm led me to this book read it as a Romantic
    anti-technological tract. At first that infuriated me, for Pirsig's goal is
    clearly a synthesis between technology and value, Classic and Romantic. Yet
    I wonder if their interpretation is not finally correct. Quality ends up as
    something purely intuitive, which we know only through a kind of awareness
    dangerously close to "groovy feelings alone," just as the whole book ends
    with a thoroughly Romantic sentence: "You can sort of tell these things."
    Can one bring technology and value together by appeal to an ultimate
    metaphysical principle in which all distinctions are destroyed? The
    criticisms Hegel raised against Romantics like Schleiermacher seem to apply
    to Pirsig too: an exclusive emphasis on preconceptual, intuitive awareness
    loses sight of the concrete and the particular which are the concern, not
    only of science, but also of ethics and indeed all of ordinary life."
    ~~~