Re: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: Sam Norton (elizaphanian@kohath.wanadoo.co.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 12 2005 - 19:06:46 GMT

    Hi Anthony,

    Thanks for a fuller meal :o) Re the earlier conversation in MD I was under
    the impression that I was still waiting for a reply from Paul, but that
    probably means that I missed one of his posts. I'll check the archives.
    However, we have enough to be going on with.

    > According to your essay, Schleiermacher is making the case that mysticism
    > can bridge the gap between phenomena (the everyday world that is
    > perceived)
    > and the Divine found in the noumenal.

    That's not quite right, so far as I understand it (and I'm only just
    beginning to study Schleiermacher, so I could well be wrong). The 'divine'
    for Schleiermacher comes before the splitting up into phenomena and noumena;
    it is pre-intellectual, and those categories are intellectual applications.
    Despite all that you and Paul and DMB have said I am unable to see the
    difference between this and how Pirsig describes DQ, but perhaps I am just a
    bear of little brain. In your lecture you quote Northrop quoting James, with
    reference to the 'undifferentiated aesthetic continuum' and so on. This
    seems to me to confirm that there is a direct link from James to Pirsig (not
    an identity, I accept your point that James is still a bit SOMish, and that
    Pirsig takes things further) and that they are talking about the same thing,
    that DQ IS "pure experience", modified and adapted and improved, but
    fundamentally and structurally still what James was talking about - and what
    Schleiermacher was talking about, I think.

    > Schleiermacher's pattern of thinking is following the tradition of Western
    > religion in locating the Divine with the inferred unseen factor in the
    > nature of things. As explained by Northrop ("Logic of the Sciences &
    > Humanities", 1947, p.376-77):
    >
    > "The divine object in the West is an unseen God the Father. ...<snip>

    If Northrop is the guide for what the 'tradition of Western religion' is,
    then no wonder there is confusion. Let's just say that if what he said is
    true, then the Incarnation makes no sense (because a human being is clearly
    a visible object). So what Northrop is saying is that the tradition of
    Western religion is one that denies the incarnation..... (Perhaps he was
    just referring to modern American Protestantism, where the point may have
    some force). In any case, his assertion bears no relation to the major part
    of the Western religious tradition and, as it stands, is simply false.

    There seems very little available about Northrop on the internet, and I am
    reluctant to invest in purchasing his book (not least because I have a large
    pile of other books still to get through). But I know Matt has been working
    his way through him, and will make some points about him soon.

    I had said;
    >>In particular, what do you make of this point from Nicholas Lash (which I
    >>quoted before):
    >>
    >>"However hostile to Cartesian dualism [[SOM]] we suppose ourselves to be,
    >>it is not possible to escape its clutches while continuing to treat the
    >>distinction between mind and matter as empirical, as being (that is to
    >>say)
    >>a distinction between two different kinds of 'thing' or substance...
    >
    > See my PhD thesis, Chapter 3 for why I think we can escape SOM on a
    > genuine
    > metaphysical basis rather than fudge or avoid the issue as most
    > Western-orientated philosophers have tended to do recently.

    It's your chapter 3 that I'm wanting to focus in on. My point is a simple
    one: if mind and matter are seen as the same sort of thing (ontologically)
    then Descartes is still the dominant influence. At least, that is what I
    take from the studies I have made on the matter, and what I take
    Wittgenstein to have established, and what Lash is referring to. Hence I was
    quoting your thesis (p168), where you explicitly state that they ARE
    ontologically identical. (I'm focussing in on this not to split hairs but
    because this seems to be the hinge point that is at issue. It's not Pirsig's
    'mysticism' - whether that is Eastern or Western or whatever - but his
    metaphysics which is causing difficulties for me. That metaphysics seems, to
    me, to still accept Cartesian presuppositions in the way described by Lash,
    and your thesis usefully highlighted one part of it.)

    One aspect of this would be worth clarifying. You say a few times "Pirsig
    introduces a new metaphysical system based essentially on Mahayana Buddhism"
    and similar expressions, which seems to imply that the problems now
    identified with the Jamesian approach have no purchase on systems based on
    Easter thought. Yet Pirsig also says that his view incorporates elements
    from James, Northrop etc. and he states quite explicitly "The Metaphysics of
    Quality is a continuation of the mainstream of twentieth-century American
    philosophy". What I want to know is whether all criticisms of that
    mainstream can be sidestepped by a claim that Buddhist thought is immune
    from contamination. What is the relative status of these two elements? In
    other words, if I am making criticisms of the Jamesian strand, how
    dispensable is that strand to the MoQ as such? Or, put differently again, if
    (big if) I can show that Pirsig's use of, or inheritance from, the Jamesian
    strand doesn't work out, is the MoQ still distinguishable from Buddhism?

    That'll do for now.
    Cheers
    Sam