RE: MD Pure experience and the Kantian problematic

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Mar 13 2005 - 22:26:01 GMT

    Sam:

    The impression I get from this quote is that Lash is a Catholic and he is
    disputing Protestantism. It seems to me that if you want to compare that
    kind of rivalry to the much broader conflict between theism and
    philosophical mysticism or between East and West, I'm gonna need you to show
    how Lash's ideas can be expanded enough to do that. I mean, the issue in
    dispute is not the tension between institutions and personal religions. It
    is between entirely different concepts of self and God. In terms of that
    tension, I see no important difference between the various demoninations of
    Christianity. I don't think the differences between Martin Luther and the
    Pope are relevant to the assertions I've been making about mysticism, but
    feel free to try to show how they are. There is more below, but for those
    who are interested, here's the quote from Lash...

    "Although it is James' account of the personal, of what it is that
    constitutes _personal_ experience, which I want to keep centrally in view,
    it is more important to bear in mind that that account was not offered as a
    merely theoretical proposal (or he himself would have fallen into the very
    intellectualism against which he was struggling). In his view, it is not
    merely a matter of saying that institutions and ideas form no part of the
    essence of "personal religion pure and simple" but, more practically and
    more urgently, of arguing that they distort and threaten such religion.....
    "The contrast between the 'personal' and 'institutional' aspects of religion

    is first spelled out in the lecture, to which we keep returning, on
    "Circumscription of the topic": "At the outset", he says, " we are struck by

    one great partition which divides the religious field. On the one side of it

    lies institutional, on the other personal religion." The essence of the
    "institutional branch" of religion is said to consist in "worship and
    sacrifice," which are construed as "procedures for working on the
    disposition of the deity." In contrast, the "center of interest" of " the
    more personal branch of religion" is said to lie in "the inner dispositions
    of man himself." The energies of institutional religion are directed toward
    manipulating the deity whereas, in personal religion - which is concerned
    with the relation that "goes direct from heart to heart... between man and
    his maker" - the structural element, "the ecclesiastical organisation, with
    its priests and sacraments and other go-betweens, sinks to an altogether
    secondary place." Thus, personal religion issues in "personal" acts, whereas

    institutional religion finds expression in "ritual" acts.
    "There is nothing that is original in this picture. Any student of
    post-Enlightenment religious thought is familiar with the contrast between
    priestcraft and prophecy, between "religions of authority" and "the religion

    of the spirit", between materialistic religion with its structures of
    mediation obtruding between finite and infinite spirit, and religions in
    which the human individual enjoys a relationship of pure immediacy with
    whatever is taken to be the divine. And if, to many nineteenth-century
    thinkers, the elements for this contrast seemed to be simply supplied by the

    data, objectively _given_ in the history of religions (and especially in the

    history of Judaism and Christianity), the twentieth-century reader of
    nineteenth century texts is better placed to notice the influence of more
    subjective factors. Not to put too fine a point on it, the contrast between
    material and spiritual, or "external" and "internal" religion, as that
    contrast was persistently drawn in the dominant narrative of both Liberal
    Protestantism and its secularized successors, expressed deep-rooted
    anti-Catholic and anti-Semitic prejudice."

    Sam said:
    To me, there are all sorts of echoes here in what Lash is describing from
    what Pirsig describes and what Northrop describes (again, suggesting a
    common inheritance from James) and the sort of argument that you come out
    with. What I find difficult to get across is how partial a view this is. In
    other words, the perspective that, it seems to me, you all hold in common,
    is one that bears no relation to how the Christian faith was understood
    prior to around 1800 (the father of Liberal Protestantism is Schleiermacher,

    by the way). Maybe I am unfairly maligning Northrop, but a statement like
    "The divine object in the West is an unseen God the Father" just reminded me

    of Pirsig's comment in ZMM when he starts to read Aristotle: "That just left

    Phaedrus aghast. Stopped. He'd been prepared to decode messages of great
    subtlety, systems of great complexity in order to understand the deeper
    inner meaning of Aristotle, claimed by many to be the greatest philosopher
    of all time. And then to get hit, right off, straight in the face, with an
    asshole statement like that! It really shook him."

    dmb says:
    I can see how a guy might hear an echo in what Lash is saying, but again,
    I'm struck by the distinct impression that Lash is not talking about
    philosophical mysticism or Buddhism. He's fighting in a much smaller context
    and I think that if we explored the assertions that seem to echo in your
    ears you'd discover that Lash is not even on the same topic. Feel free to
    try to show me otherwise. And please remember that my complaint is not
    against institutions or rituals as such, but rather that these institutions
    and rituals are not aimed at enlightenment, that they are not functioning
    properly as spiritual institutions. In other words, I can complain about
    broken windows and still be in favor of transparency. If I complain about
    broken cars it doesn't mean I'm opposed to transportation. I would complain
    precisly because that broken car isn't doing the job of transporting.

    Sam continued:
    Which is how I reacted to that quotation from Northrop. As I said, taken as
    a simple sentence, it is straightforwardly false - it's "an asshole
    statement". In other words: it is NOT the case that "The divine object in
    the West is an unseen God the Father". Maybe there's some interrogation to
    be done about what counts as "West" here, but given the language of 'Father'
    I imagine that Christianity is at least part of it. And Christianity claims
    that God is visible in human flesh, part of the Trinity. God is tangible.
    Therefore, for Christianity, the divine object (in so far as that language
    makes any sense at all) is a visible God the Son, and an experienceable
    Spirit, both in relationship with an unseen God the Father. So Northrop
    either has to unpack and qualify that statement or be convicted of a basic
    mistake (ie claiming that 'the West' denies the Incarnation).

    dmb says:
    You've misread the Northrop quote. He doesn't claim that the West denies the
    incarnation. He says the very opposite. He's saying that the concept of God
    as "an unseen God the Father" is what produces the need for the incarnation
    as a link between two distinct entities, between God and man. In the East
    God is not otherworldly and is not separate from us. Northrup says this
    difference "explains why the Far Eastern religions do not need a religious
    prophet if the divine is to be revealed to man, and why the Western
    religions must have one." See he's not claiming that the West is denying the
    incarnation, he's saying the West MUST have it. Maybe that correction will
    make him seem like less of an asshole. In fact, your description of the
    trinity here only supports the logic of what he's said.

    Sam said:
    Thing is, these doubts of mine aren't just the result of my own
    peculiarities and idiosyncrasies. I'm not a great academic expert in the
    area. I just see that there is a severe tension between what I have
    discovered or been taught and what Pirsig is putting across. It's quite
    possible that everything that I've been taught is wrong, but I'm not going
    to be persuaded of that if I don't feel the basic points I'm trying to make
    have been understood or acknowledged.

    dmb says:
    Right. There is a severe tension between what you have been taught and what
    Pirsig is saying. And its only natural that your objections would have to be
    addressed and overcome before you could change your mind. That's just how it
    works. That's how I'd want to be persuaded too. But in this case I just
    don't see how your point is relevant. In terms of mysticism, I just don't
    see how the MOQ has anything in common with Liberal Protestantism and I
    certainly don't see Pirsig taking sides with it against the Catholics and
    Jews. That's simply not the kind of dispute I'm taking about and, as far as
    I know, Pirsig makes no mention of such things. He simply says that some
    sects are worse than others without naming any names. However he is pretty
    unequivocal about theism. He's against it. I think its safe to say that all
    mainstream christian demoninations are theistic and that given a choice
    between any two sects, he'd choose neither. And since this rejection is
    based on the adoption of a philosophically defensible and contrary view, I
    hardly think its fair to ascribe this stance to "prejudice". I mean, its not
    that I hate christians or theists, I just think they're wrong. Only crooked
    toothed, tea drinking, fish and chips eater like you could suggest that
    bigotry has anything to do with it. (I'm actually having trouble coming up
    with English sterotypes for this joke, but you get the idea. )