MD Politics of MOQ Discuss

From: Ant McWatt (antmcwatt@hotmail.co.uk)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 22:23:05 GMT

    Matt K stated to Dan March 20th 2005:

    I just don’t understand how people can be so dismissive of all the work I’ve
    put in to understanding Pirsig, and then have the nerve to call _me_
    dishonest. Do you really think I’m doing this for fun? That I’m just doing
    this to annoy everyone here? You could say that about certain others, like
    perhaps Struan [the patronising “professional”], who just seemed to like to
    come on and say nasty things. But I think, given all available evidence,
    there are few people who are as obsessed about Pirsig as I am, who are as
    obsessed in trying to make Pirsig matter.

    Ant McWatt commented to Matt K March 21st 2005:

    As my hard work (from last year) concerning Rorty wasn’t obviously
    appreciated by you (and “Andy Bahn” evidently…), you have to understand why
    I, for one, am rather reluctant to engage seriously with any of your new
    extended essays and posts. Moreover, the fact that you had an essay titled
    "Philosophologology: An Inquiry into the Study of the Love of Wisdom" and
    deemed to change your e-mail address on MOQ.org last year to a pejorative
    one regarding Pirsig does also rather undermine your claim that you are not
    “doing this to annoy everyone here.”

    Rick stated March 22nd 2005:

    Sorry Ant, I know you're working your rhetorical arse off trying to cast
    Matt in a negative light, but I can assure you that the title of that essay
    had nothing to do with "annoying everyone here." I suggested it.

    Ant McWatt points out:

    Rick,

    I know you suggested it. You told me in your last private message to me a
    few months ago.

    Rick stated March 22nd 2005:

    It perfectly reflected the theme of the essay and I thought it was just kind
    of fun and frankly, I resent the implication that it was intended to annoy.

    Ant McWatt notes:

    There is absolutely no implication here, Rick. Though I do understand that
    you were having a bit of fun, I had in mind Dan’s reply to Matt from March
    20th 2005:

    “You probably fail to realize it but… you are definitely insulting me with
    postings like your recent two-parter and your 'Philosophology' essay.”

    Rick stated March 22nd 2005:

    (although I take a bit of satisfaction in the fact that you've now
    incontrovertibly exposed your anti-Matt bias).

    Ant McWatt notes:

    Actually, I’m pro-Quality. Unfortunately, it might appear that I’m
    sometimes anti-Matt or anti-Scott or anti-Platt or whoever but I’m afraid it
    only seems that way because intellectual quality comes above any social
    niceties.

    Rick stated March 22nd 2005:

    I'm not sure if you actually read the essay (you should, it's great), but if
    you did, you'd know why it has that title. Anyway, I highly recommend it
    (along with Matt's Confessions essay) to everyone in this forum.

    As someone who's been hanging around these parts lurking and contributing
    for many years I can honestly say that I believe Matt's essays are best
    Forum materials I've ever read.

    Ant McWatt notes:

    I’d disagree with that as I think there are a number of essays which throw
    better light in understanding the MOQ though I thought Matt’s “Confessions”
    essay was an interesting take on how people move from one set of beliefs to
    another. However, the central point of my last message to Matt was an
    attempt to explain why the material in his essays and posts were sometimes
    simply being ignored. I gave my personal opinion about the matter and some
    other general ideas about why this was the case in an effort to help him
    deal with the situation.

    Possibly, I have been too offhand with Matt’s enthusiasm with Rorty but I
    really think that Rorty’s work (like most Western philosophy of whatever
    colour) is fatally tinged with SOM. Despite all of the MOQ’s faults,
    Pirsig’s Zennist break with traditional Western philosophy is a valuable one
    so a return to a linguistic based type of relativism (that doesn’t recognise
    Dynamic Quality above anything else!!!!) is a step in the wrong direction.
    However, that doesn’t mean that useful critiques of Pirsig’s work can’t be
    made, for instance, from sometimes taking a Rortyan or other type of
    SOM/post-modernist stance.

    Rick stated March 22nd 2005:

    Nothing else has ever made me think as much or as hard or as deeply about
    where Pirsig is coming from, what he's driving at, and what it is that
    Pirsig really does, and doesn't, have to contribute. For anyone who's
    really ready to… start asking some deeper, more cutting and important
    questions about Pirsig's work, those essays are just sitting out there
    waiting to point you in the best direction.

    Ant McWatt notes:

    Well, there you go. If this is the case then don’t you think it’s worth
    clearing-up misunderstandings and innuendos so the intellectual quality of
    Matt’s work can be judged without all the social baggage getting in the way?

    Best wishes,

    Anthony.

    www.anthonymcwatt.co.uk

    http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/