MD Quality as such or Dynamic Quality?

From: Sam Norton (elizaphanian@kohath.wanadoo.co.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 14:04:44 BST

    Hi Steve,

    Just wanted to say that your comments in the epigrams thread were really
    good, particularly this:

    > I just don't see any difference functionally between Q and DQ. To talk
    > about experience prior to parsing we can only talk about the Whole
    > (undifferentiated Reality). <snip> Whether we talk about the ten
    > thousand things or not the Tao
    > remains the Tao. DQ is a necessary fiction to allow our mind to parse,
    > and
    > still maintain undifferentiated Quality as reality, that's all IMO.

    As it happens, there have been a few discussions on the relation between DQ
    and Quality in MF. You might like to have a look at the archives for March
    and April 2004, in the thread 'metaphysics and the mystical reality'. I
    think there is a real ambiguity in Pirsig's language, and it vitiates his
    understanding of mysticism. Below my signature is my post from early on in
    the thread, which, despite being vigorously disagreed with in certain
    quarters, I still think states the case.

    Cheers
    Sam
    "The intelligent man who is proud of his intelligence is like the condemned
    man who is proud of his large cell." Simone Weil

    (From the MF debate in March/April 2004):

    Hi all,

    The question we have to consider this month is: "Does Pirsig's work help us
    sort out the
    distinctions between metaphysics and the mystical reality?". DMB has opened
    it with something of a
    challenge: "I don't expect to see any persuasive cases made for answering
    the question with a 'no'
    and I doubt if there is anyone left who seriously doubts the mystical nature
    of Pirsig's
    metaphysics." Being in a curmudgeonly mood I'm going to have a crack at
    confounding DMB's
    expectations.

    The essence of my objection lies in the following two quotations (helpfully
    provided by DMB in the
    MD forum):

    Quotation 1:
    "Quality is indivisible, undefinable and unknowable in the sense that there
    is a knower and known,
    but a metaphysics can be none of these things. A metaphysics must be
    divisible, definable, and
    knowable, or there isn't any metaphysics. Since a metaphysics is essentially
    a kind of dialectical
    definition and since Quality is essentially outside definition, this means
    that a 'MoQ' is
    essentially a contradiction in terms." (Lila chapter 5)

    Quotation 2:
    "The MOQ associates religious mysticism with Dynamic Quality but it would
    certainly be a mistake to
    think that the MOQ endorses the static beliefs of any particular religious
    sect. Phaedrus thought
    sectarian religion was a static social fallout of DQ and that while some
    sects had fallen less than
    others, none of them told the whole truth." (Lila chapter 30)

    My problem can be expressed in the following way. Assume that "the mystical
    reality" is ultimately
    indefinable. In the first of these quotations Pirsig identifies the
    indefinable with Quality as
    such, in the second he identifies it with Dynamic Quality.

    When Pirsig talks about Quality and the SQ/DQ division I think he talks
    sense. When he talks about
    DQ as religious mysticism I think he talks nonsense.

    To bring this out I would say two things.

    The first is a conceptual point. If Static Quality and Dynamic Quality are
    the subdivisions of
    Quality then Dynamic Quality cannot be the mystical reality, for the
    mystical reality must be the
    highest term in the metaphysics (else you no longer have One, you have
    Many).

    The second is more pragmatic. Take the development of a particular person's
    understanding towards
    higher Quality. Such a person will, inevitably, learn things new to
    themselves which are not new to
    others. So what is DQ to one person is SQ to another. Religious traditions
    recognise this by saying
    that God (Quality) is present throughout the development. Pirsig's writing
    on mysticism seems to
    imply that Quality can only be present with those like the brujo who are at
    the cutting edge of
    their society's experience. I think this undermines his understanding in all
    sorts of ways, and lies
    behind the following quotation:

    Pirsig:
    "Phaedrus saw nothing wrong with this ritualistic religion as long as the
    rituals are seen as merely
    a static portrayal of Dynamic Quality, a sign-post which allows socially
    pattern-dominated people to
    see Dynamic Quality. The danger has always been that the rituals, the static
    patterns, are mistaken
    for what they merely represent and are allowed to destroy the Dynamic
    Quality they were originally
    intended to preserve."

    To my mind, this quotation encapsulates what is both good and bad in
    Pirsig's writing. He concedes
    that static patterns can enable the apprehension of Quality; but he also
    reifies Dynamic Quality as
    what the rituals 'were originally intended to preserve' - which I think is a
    mistake. The rituals
    are static representations of Quality as such, not Dynamic Quality. So a
    religious (mystical) path
    can validly include the static patterns that particular religious traditions
    have accumulated - as
    Pirsig himself concedes elsewhere.

    In other words, I think it is an error to identify DQ with the mystical
    reality, and I think that
    because Pirsig makes this error he is inconsistent with his own metaphysics.
    Consequently I think
    that Pirsig's work does NOT help us sort out the distinctions between
    metaphysics and the mystical
    reality.
    ~~~~

    Rick (valence) summarised my point nicely like this: According to Robert
    Pirsig, mysticism should be identified with (a.) Quality (the undivided
    whole) alone, (b.) dynamic quality (a subset of Quality which excludes
    static patterns) alone, (c.) both, (d.) neither. --- your choice?