RE: MD Orpheus

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 02:00:39 BST

    Sam and all:

    Sam Norton said to dmb:
    Let's run through the Orpheus bit rapidly: child of gods, gifted musically,
    falls in love with Eurydice, she dies, he pursues her in the underworld, he
    loses her again, he is torn apart by the ? bacchanalians? So: Orpheus goes
    in to the underworld when he is still alive; he goes to achieve something
    for himself; he doesn't achieve it; he *then* commits a form of suicide.

    dmb replies:
    Well, it might just strike you as some kind of trick if you've never heard
    this one before, but the standard version of the myth comes down to us from
    the Romans, not the Greeks, and it is a PARODY of the original. In the
    original version he does not fail. I would also point out that his "musical"
    gifts are actually spiritual gifts. Music is just a metaphor. The idea
    behind his musical genius is that he knows the song of the universe, not
    just that he's some kind of rock star. He sings of the geneology of the
    Gods, the origins of the universe and stuff like that. And I can see how a
    person might conclude the Orpheus journey into the underworld was a selfish
    act, but again Eurydice is best understood as a metaphor rather than merely
    a girlfriend or bride. In Ovid's parody, Orpheus is torn apart by followers
    of Dionysus, jealous women who didn't like the idea of becoming vegetarians.
    As Peter Kingsley tells it, however, the crime that got him killed was very
    much like the one that Jesus was supposed to have died for. Orpheus had a
    mystical experience and saw that Apollo, the sun god, was also the god of
    the night. It was a kind of sedition too.

    Sam continued:
    With Jesus: child of God, gifted (religiously), teaches and heals various
    people (not a single object of love), is executed by the state for sedition,

    goes into the underworld, rises from the dead. So: Jesus goes into the
    underworld when he is dead; he goes to achieve something for other people;
    he achieves it; he then ascends into heaven.

    dmb says:
    Here I would point out that the parallels make a great deal more sense when
    both myths are read as metaphors for the mystical experience we are each
    supposed to have. The parallels really begin to break down when we compare a
    mystical Orpheus to the theological Christ. I think we're looking at apples
    and oranges when we get to the notion that Christ was saving the whole world
    while Orphues just wanted his girl back. The parallels breakdown when we
    compare Ovid's parody to church dogma. But its a different story when we
    look at them both as myths. Myths are multivalent and never so clear cut,
    but they are also more pure than the literature that follows.

    Sam added parenthetically:
    {I'm not trying to say there are no parallels, just that they're not a
    strong as you suggest}

    dmb says:
    Right. And I'm not trying to say they are identical in every way. But I am
    convinced that theses two myths, as well as many, many others, express a
    perennial truth. I'm saying that this message has been expressed in so many
    ways, in so many cultures, that one would be a fool not to take notice of
    what that message is, or rather what those messages are.

    Sam said:
    With Phaedrus: not a child of God, gifted (intellectually), teaches students

    (not a single person), is rejected by the authorities and given ECT, his
    'personality' vanishes (into the underworld), he is then 'resurrected'. So:
    Phaedrus goes into the underworld when he is dead; he discovers something
    important and achieves it; and then returns to share it (and the end of ZMM
    is an ascension of sorts - you can sort of tell these things).

    dmb says:
    On top of what I've already said, it seems to me that all three can be seen
    as spiritual reformers. Each of them wanted to fix the problem. Each of them
    of inspired to make these improvements by a spiritual experience. One could
    say the same about the Buddha too. In that sense, they are all healers and
    world redeemers.

    Sam said:
    In particular, I think that the crucifixion of Christ and the ECT on
    Phaedrus resemble each other much more closely than either resembles Orpheus

    being torn apart by the bachhanalians. With the first two you have the clash

    between institutions of social authority and an individual conscience (you
    could describe them both as a clash between the third and fourth level, if
    you let go of 'intellect' as the description of the fourth level). Whereas
    with Orpheus there is no social/individual clash, there is simply the
    individual tragedy - which is, more or less, self-inflicted.

    dmb says:
    A self-inflicted personal tragedy? No, even in the parody Orpheus is ripped
    apart for his attempts to reform Dionysian rituals. Even in the parody he is
    attacked by the authoritiys, by those who are resistant to change and his
    severed head continues to make prophecies despite the efforts to shut him
    up. In the origianl Orpheus gets into trouble with the authorities for less
    entertaining reasons, but it is still of case of one individual reformer
    going up against the status quo. As I see it, all three share that in
    common.

    Thanks,
    dmb

    P.S. One more thing that occured to me about five minutes after I sent the
    last one on this topic. Another thought-provoking similarity between Orpheus
    and Christ has to do with language. Christ is said to be the word made flesh
    and Orpheus is credited with inventing the alphabet. Again, if we take this
    literally or if we compare a mythical truth to a theological truth we are
    going to be comparing apples and oranges. As mythical statements they are
    very much the same; both Orpheus and Christ represent the perfection or
    culmination of language in some sense. I just thought that was curious.