Re: MD scientific beliefs and religious faith

From: ian glendinning (psybertron@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 04:27:43 BST

    Sam,

    I think you're right about the subject matter.
    I've just given a longish response in the other thread - I'll come
    back to yours in 12 hours or so.

    FWIW, I think we have two main topics circulating ...

    (1) Belief vs faith - what makes a good one. What makes what is
    believed "more true". My battleground here is "quality of
    explanation".

    (2) When talking about scientific method (but not science) as part of
    "evidence" in MoQ circles, we keep confusing the concepts of
    "empiricism" and "pre-intellectual experience".

    Ian
    PS, your obligatory Einstein quote ... note he is delineating
    "positive" knowledge from "fantasy" (inspiration / intuition / etc.),
    both are part of the knowledge of the physics, and its explanation of
    the world.