Re: MD Probably Silly Questions..

From: ian glendinning (psybertron@gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 08:44:19 BST

    Mark, I certainly do not believe you have the wrong end of any stick there.

    I can't answer you specific questions succinctly, but my interest in
    Pirsigian Quality is from a very similar angle ...

    Where you talk of social interactions - I'm talking of organisational
    behaviours. But the aspects you point to are pretty much the same -
    human "rationalisations" of their own and other peoples "intents" in
    what they say and do, (and say they do). I notice you use the word
    "manipulate" in there, where I've used "intent". Personally I don't
    see this as predominantly a conspiratorial / machivellian problem,
    more a memetic problem - the rationalisation itself is a deeply
    evolved human process - it's almost impossible for us to do otherwise.

    My angle is that the rationalisations hold mis-placed faith in an
    objectivity that is not really there, a defensive simplification, a
    kind of hypocrisy - hence the Quality interaction to redress the
    subjective balance. Exactly how, I'm still working on :-)

    Welcome.
    Ian Glendinning