Re: MD Pre-intellectual awareness = Dynamic Quality?

From: Arlo Bensinger (ajb102@psu.edu)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 22:07:48 BST

    Hi Michael,

    This is an interesting question. If I understand you correctly, you are
    saying that even at the pre-intellectual area, "experience" is still
    selective due to biological adaptations, and as such there is really no
    "pre-anything" experience that would equate with a full, uncategorical
    experience of DQ.

    I wrestled around with a similar question, namely that of radio waves in
    the air. Let's take someone who grew up in a remote area and has no
    knowledge of "radio" or "radio waves" (or anything of the sort). When
    she selects "experience" (presumably based on Quality) to symbolically
    represent, do these radio waves get ignored because they have no
    Quality? The green flash of the sun talked about in Lila proposes that
    the answer is yes, that the culture has not made this salient, and so
    experience ignores it. But humans are (as far as I know) biologically
    incapable of sensing radio waves. A culture that values them makes them
    salient as symbolically represented intellectual patterns only, and
    through this we can build machines that utilize them, but the actual
    "experience" of radio waves lies well outside our sensory abilities.

    Because we can't respond to them on the biological level suggests that-
    phylogenetically- these waves have no Quality on the biological level
    for humans. What this suggests is that different biologic organisms
    evolved based on responses to Quality that latched, statically, over
    long periods of time. Bats can use sonar, for example, because these
    sounds have a biological Quality for them. For humans, these sounds do not.

    However, I think (to me) the problem is in the assumption that
    "pre-intellectual" experience must be "sensory". It may include sensory
    experience, to various degrees, but I don't think it is simply a sensory
    experience. What that does, is "drop" DQ down to equate with biological
    Quality. That is, by removing social and intellectual patterns of
    thought (semiosis), we revent to a biological being, and so can respond
    only to biological Quality (sensory experience). That our sensory
    experience (biological Quality) is limited by what we could call
    "biological semiosis" (an evolutionary developed predisposition towards
    certain sensory input) should not mean that our ability to respond to DQ
    is limited, on either the biological or intellectual levels.

    Finally, on all levels (IBSI) DQ is what leads evolution to expand
    "experience" on those levels. If we could only respond to- biologically-
    that which we could sense, and- intellectually- that which we have
    symbolic representations for, there would be no evolution. We would not
    be stuck where we are, we would never have gotten here in the first place.

    I hope some of this makes sense, we'll see what others say...

    Arlo