Re: MD NAZIs and Pragmatism

From: bahna@rpi.edu
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 21:02:02 GMT

    DMB says,

    "It seems to me that Rorty is saying that the last 25 hundred years of
    Western Philosophy ought to be ejected. This strikes me as just about the
    most extraordinary claim I've ever heard and so to persuade me of its truth

    would take extraordinary evidence."

    Yes, this does seem an extraordinary claim, but it is only an extension of
    the thoughts begun by many other philosophers over the past century [Dewey,
    James, Wittgenstein, Kuhn, etc.) I think his analogy of throwing away the
    ladder, not because we have reached a final conclusion, but because we are
    faced with new problems is a good one here.

    Andy