MD A Man of Values

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 22:33:12 BST

    Hi All,

    I ran across an old clipping today that I thought you might enjoy.

    In answering a journalist's question "Why do you go fishing every day?,
    the author reveals a set of unique, yet in many ways, universal values.

    "I fish because I love to. Because I love the environs where trout are
    found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds
    of people are found, which are invariably ugly. Because of all the
    television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I
    thus escape. Because in a world where most men spend their lives doing
    what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an
    act of small rebellion. Because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be
    bought or bribed, or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and
    humility, and endless patience. Because I suspect that men are going along
    this way for the last time and I for one don't want to waste the trip.
    Because mercifully there are no telephones in trout waters. Because only
    in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness. Because bourbon out
    of an old tin cup always tastes better out there. Because maybe one day I
    will catch a mermaid. And finally, not because I regard fishing as being
    so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other
    concerns of men are equally unimportant and not nearly so much fun.

    --- Judge John Voelker, Michigan Supreme Court, author of "Anatomy of a
    Murder."

    Best,
    Platt