RE: MD NAZIs and Pragmatism

From: Matt the Enraged Endorphin (mpkundert@students.wisc.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 22:06:31 GMT

    DMB,

    Let me try it this way:

    From a philosopical standpoint, if we follow Plato in trying to hold
    reality and justice in a single vision, then we will get things like The
    Republic. That means we'd have little Platoes running around trying to
    argue dialectically about the Good in order to present his conception of
    justice (i.e. "to each their own," a very, very watered-down version of
    Plato's conception of justice). Rorty suggests that we don't want this
    when debating on the floor of the Senate.

    From a political standpoint, if we follow Rorty in making a public/private
    split (which is what Jefferson was talking about), then we will allow
    philosophers like Plato to hold reality and justice in a single vision, we
    just won't allow them to talk about the Good on the Senate floor.

    The two standpoints to not necessarily follow from the other. Rorty
    suggests that the only way to view philosophy as he does is to meditate on
    the history of philosophy. He suggests that you could view politics as he
    does by meditating on the history of philosophy, but more often then not,
    the people you would read endorsing a public/private split (Smith, Hume,
    Kant, Hamilton, Jefferson, Mill, Constant, etc.) were not meditating on the
    history of philosophy when they made their decision, but on the history of
    politics and that this is the best way to reaffirm your sense of this
    practical division.

    So, from a political standpoint, the "split" of the self into public and
    private sides isn't really a metaphysical split, it is a practical one
    where we decide not to let God-talk or Quality-talk onto the Senate floor
    in the name of expediency and freedom of religion (which, following John
    Rawls, can be updated to the freedom of philosophy).

    Matt