Re: MD Time

From: ian glendinning (psybertron@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 02:53:10 BST

    Scott,

    If I'm going to happy spending my life as a poor deluded modernist,
    you're really going have to explain "modernist" in simple terms ....
    but I think we're closer than might appear.

    I may think "intellect" has arisen (evolved in my case) from a world
    without it, but I didn't mention consciousness. As I've said many
    times, I do in fact believe, there is something physical behind
    conciousness, that is not yet understood.

    Your (1) - yes, with you on these triplets.
    Your (2) - I did just say in a parallel thread - the 4D-Spacetime of
    "pop-science" is clearly only a convenient metaphor, but not much like
    reality it turns out.
    Your (3) - the "modern" language is losing me ... but you end up with
    what is now mystical is the normal of the future. I agree. Mystical =
    Unexplained.

    The "undifferentiated aesthetic continuum" I prefer to think of the
    word aesthetic here as simply to draw attention away from objective /
    empirical aspects of experience - obviously aesthetics as we would
    know it, has arisen from human behaviour post-experience, but I don't
    believe that's what Northrop was talking about.

    What I can or cannot say about form and formlessness - I've seen that
    tetralemma before, naturally. The problem is you get back to
    fundamental liguistic problems, and I can hardly say anything. I did
    in fact say "aspects of form and formlessness" not that it existed as
    both, but we're getting into lingusitic knots.

    Ian