Re: MD NAZIs and Pragmatism

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 22:20:05 GMT

    Dear Sam,

    You wrote 8 Feb 2003 11:37:10 -0000:
    'As a reasonably prominent Christian on this site, I would like to
    point out that I don't consider the MoQ (as articulated by Pirsig) to be
    compatible with Christianity.'

    You indeed wrote 5 Nov 2002 11:40:23 -0000:
    'the Christian scale of values is in conflict with the MoQ scale of values.
    Why? Principally that it presents the intellect as the highest good, and
    therefore, if the MoQ is compatible with Christianity, then Jesus is seen
    primarily as a teacher of intellectual truths ...
    This was quite a common belief in the societies in which the early church
    took shape ...: gnosticism. You were
    saved by your 'gnosis', your understanding of the hidden truths. ...
    Gnosticism was rejected by the early church for very good reasons ... from
    the viewpoint of mainstream Christian thinking, which centres on the claim
    that Jesus was fully divine and fully human.'

    But you also wrote in that same e-mail:
    'So is the MoQ wholly incompatible with Christianity? I don't believe so,
    and in fact I think my "eudaimonic" MoQ is really a way that I have found to
    render the two compatible'.
    And then you went on to describe a way in which for you the MoQ and
    Christianity were compatible.

    You also seemed to agree with Steve, who wrote 5 Nov 2002 14:35:25 -0500
    'I think Panentheism ... is a concept of God that is consistent with
    Christianity. ... And also that Quality is a concept of God that is
    consistent with a panentheistic conception'
    by replying 5 Nov 2002 21:26:44 -0000:
    'Panentheism is certainly compatible with Christianity - at least, I know
    lots of highly educated Christians that
    hold it'.

    So: do you really still think that Christianity (in all of its forms or in
    the form you adhere to) is incompatible with the MoQ (in all possible
    interpretation of Pirsig's words or in your version)???
    I don't find it difficult to describe my brand of Christianity in MoQish, as
    I have repeatedly demonstrated, so I'm just wondering...

    With friendly greetings,

    Wim